Fiberglass deck repair

greenhornet73

I have a small 12” soft area on the back deck of my Sea Ray and am looking for someone who does this kind of work.  I love the boat too much to look for something else but realize this may be a costly project.  Would like to get an idea of what this repair would look like.  If anyone has a person I could contact I’d appreciate it.  

There is a process we did on a soft spot on the deck of our boat, a little over a square foot.  Drilled 50-60 small holes, filled syringe with some kind of resin and let it do it's thing.  I know it's kind of a band aid but was worth a shot.  That was two years ago and the spot we did this to is solid once again.  Might be worth a shot.  If it doesn't work, you'll be cutting it out and replacing it anyways!  If you want more info, shoot me a message and I'll try and find the link/video.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:13 AM, slice o life said:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Brian, I will look them up and see what they say. Orangediablo, I have looked into the injection floor system and considered it a temporary bandaid but you raise a good point that if it doesn’t work in a few more years the worst thing that could happen is that I have to replace the floor as I was already considering in the first place.  How much did the material cost you to fix that small area?  I just don’t want to lose the boat for the rest of the season or have it done over the winter and not be able to shrink wrap it for the rest of the winter.

if all else fails and you decide to do a repair on your own you can get a thin sheet of fiberglass to work as a patch. you can do a Bing or google search online for fiberglass sheeting and get a piece a little larger than the bad spot. then just get enough resin to do the job. mix up enough to do the job. just don't add to much hardener or it may start setting up too soon. after the area has been cleaned very good mix your resin and hardener then take a paint brush and coat the floor going out at least a couple of inches past the patch area. then place the patch on and take the brush and apply a thick coating on top going out past the patch. your best bet would probably be a 1/8" and 24x24 piece to do the job.

another way I have patched a boat was to cut up into small pieces of the cloth in my resin. then just use sheets of cheese cloth to cover the area plus about 4" or 5" past the soft area. I used 2 pieces of cheese cloth cut to size. then I would mix my resin with the small pieces of cut up cheese cloth then add the hardener and mix everything up together. I would then coat the area with resin then apply the first sheet of cheese cloth then coat the top of it letting the resin soak in the apply the second piece and coat it good with the resin going out a few inches past the edges of the cloth on every coating. and if it would make you feel better you can always add more cheese cloth layers. give it 24 hrs to set up then you can just use one of the cheap hand sanders that can usually find at pawn shops for less money. never give the asking price but ask them what is the least they would tale. now get you some paper or cloth masks and sand off the rough places. it's best to do the sanding outside so it's well ventilated