Cannon Dual Axis Rod Holder - Catastrophic Failure

Peave

I have two Cannon dual axis rod holders on my boat and one had a catastrophic failure yesterday.  The bottom pin that holds the pistol grip in place broke through the casting.  I called Cannon and was told it is out of warranty and there are no replaceable parts.    My second one shows bulging on the edge at the same spot and will surely fail at some point.  I asked if they had redesigned this holder since I bought mine (2014) because there is very little material between the pin hole and the edge of the casting.  They promissed to check and get back to me. 

Has anyone else had this issue with this holder?  I love how they work but don't want to buy any more unless there is more material holding these pins in place.  Maybe I just got a bad batch?

787362016_Cannon1.thumb.jpg.c4deb7387b1c40645a3058d246814b43.jpg558914218_Cannon2.thumb.jpg.203d65ae4816830ae3efdb57d323f6ff.jpg

I have them all around my boat and haven't had that issue.  I'm also not using it a lot, unfortunately, but this does worry me.  The only issue I had was a used one from Amazon warehouse- there's a single screw holding the whole top pivoting to the bottom.  That was loose but fixed with loctite

There does not look to be much material in that area

Screenshot_20220822-144657.png

Edited by swambach

I have six of them and two of the single axis and no problems for past three or so years. I do run my heavier diver rods off the single axis model which I located at the rear end of the tracks. The duals are used for inline boards etc. and I never leave the rods in the holders if I am cruising fast in rough water where they may get bounced around in the holders. The pin area is certainly a point of concern in the design so I try to minimize stress on the duals for that reason. The singles are fine.

I have run these rod holders for 12 seasons. I have had pins get loose and work their way out. Some have gotten sloppy over time from use. I have never had that happen to one. I have a double set that holds an extra large fillet table and they haven't had that happen to them. The black piece on the grip to ratchet the rod holder is a break away piece to help avoid the issue you had. I have had those break multiple times.

My recommendation would be walk, instead of run, over to the rod and be a little more gentle with things.

14 hours ago, Zinger11 said:

I have 10 of them when I got them 6 years ago I took them apart and powder coated them to match my boat. I have never had a problem but I do go through them at the end of every year just to tighten up anything that may have gotten sloppy Screenshot_20220822-173859_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Those are really cool!

Thanks for all the help guys.  I had pins loose before but had put a small wire tie through the hole to keep it from moving.  I’m not hard on my equipment so I’m just going to chalk it up to I got a bad unit.  It happens in manufacturing. Sounds like lots of you have had no issues so I’m going to replace it with the same model and hope for the best.  

You may want to consider these rod holders. They are a similar to the Cannon, but it looks like they have redesigned them to avoid the pin problem as I have heard this has been an issue. I have them and they are great. Made in Canada too! (I have nothing to do with the company)

https://eriebaitandtackle.ca/products/custom-fishing-solutions-single-rod-holder?_pos=4&_sid=55b9e5cf5&_ss=r

Glenn

• Like 1

This is not that uncommon. I had a guy two weeks ago that showed me two of his that failed the same place. I  still like them better then any other rod holder you just need to inspect the pins more often as it will show the pins loosening before it gets to this point.

There is a fix for the pin issue:

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/45799-problem-with-cannon-dual-axis-rod-holders/?do=findComment&comment=369022

CaptSpike said:

"So I looked the issue over and came up with a solution. I inserted a 4-40 x 1.5 long pan head stainless screw thru the roll pin with a my lock nut on the other end. Washers on each side as well. No way the pin will come out now. Profile is low enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Spike"