Dipsey diver understanding

Bil460

Running no1 dipsey using their depth chart 

Not very productive over 100 fow and I hear guys running 2-300 ft of line out with no1 size 

Now where is this dipsey at that setback in 100 fow I don't hit bottom but at 250 f back I catch fish  confused 🤔  I know speed has effect but it's regular speed for salmon and is with raid line (, I think braid goes as deep as wire and easy to use . Idont know how to figure depth off the chart,, thanks for any help 

Thanks, bil 469

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure your reel is calibrated for the chart to be accurate.  Measure out 100 feet on your driveway then see what your line counter reads when stretched out over that 100 feet.  If its shows less than 100 feet, you need to remove line, if it shows over 100 feet you need to add line.  For Shimano Reels, use a factor of 8ft.  For example, if your line counter reads 95 you would remove 5x8 (40ft) of line from the reel.  If it reads 110  you would need to add 10*8 (80ft) of line.  

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 8:33 AM, ErieBuck said:

Make sure your reel is calibrated for the chart to be accurate.  Measure out 100 feet on your driveway then see what your line counter reads when stretched out over that 100 feet.  If its shows less than 100 feet, you need to remove line, if it shows over 100 feet you need to add line.  For Shimano Reels, use a factor of 8ft.  For example, if your line counter reads 95 you would remove 5x8 (40ft) of line from the reel.  If it reads 110  you would need to add 10*8 (80ft) of line.  

GREAT point I always forget to mention.  I use a full reel too.

I was shocked by how far off my braid divers were when they appeared to be fine.  I need to do my wire reels still.  Tougher to correct with a full spool of wire, so I may just put a piece of tape in the side to remind me…  +5 or -10 etc.