Do you measure your copper ? Last fall on my way home from my last trip for the year I stopped at Fat Nancy’s and purchased a 600’ spool of Buck Naked Copper for a replacement for whenever a lost some. This week I lost my 300’ copper.  So a friend helped me wind on the wire I had purchased from Fat Nancy’s. The whole spool went on a reel which could never hold 600’. I took the empty spool to Fat Nancy’s and talked to the owner Rob. He told me he had never had a previous complaint, the M 16 spool was the correct spool for 600’ and he always meters all the wire when he fills the spools. I told him my fishing reel could never hold 600’ and I was going to go measure, which I did. It is 419’. Very few people measure the copper they put on a reel. Someone with a 600’ purchased from him would be 30 feet higher in the water column than they want to be. Measure your copper especially if you bought it at Fat Nancy’s.

Pictures are the M16 Buck Naked Copper 600’ spool I purchased from Fat Nancy’s and a identical M16 A-TOM-MIK 300 spool I previously purchased from another retailer.

141A148C-4D3D-4C57-9AA0-857942C2EDAE.jpeg

EA7E4D88-B001-4A82-A49A-310DBE0A90CD.jpeg

Has anyone buying and using these lines checked the diameters and break strengths? I worked for a major line manufacturer and checked competitors diameters and break strengths often, and let’s just say that some (used to be MANY) are not honest.

I could be wrong, but I believe the line lb test ratings are still not regulated, and diameters are still in fine print. So you’re labeled 30lb from brand X could actually be 40lb - which would fill up a reel more-so than brand Y that is honest about their 30lb product with a thinner diameter. Unless you check the diameters and complete break strength tests, you’ll never know the truth!

But then you’d have to also check the line capacity ratings for lb test vs diameter on your reels as well.... [emoji846] You need to make sure they’re honest too. And you can’t 100% depend on line counter reels to measure distance unless they’re dialed into the correct diameter of the line you’re using. BUT even then, we all know that a full handle revolution with only a few wraps of line left on your spool has a much different retrieval distance than a full spool. Does your reel’s line counter factor that in?

In closing, I don’t use any of the brands or line mentioned and don’t work in the fishing industry anymore, but I always recommend a thorough root cause analysis before possibly creating a negative impact on someone’s brand or business.

Might be .05 cents worth.

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Houndog said:

I understand what your saying that is why my copper is measured out with a tape measure! 300feet is 300 feet regardless of the diameter.

I do the same thing.  My neighbors look at me funny when I'm reeling cooper on a reel through the neighborhood! 

• Like 2

next time u buy copper just keep the empty spool and weigh it.   Next time you buy a roll just cut off say a 10 ft piece, weigh it, multiply it by 60 and add in the weight of the spool.  If its close you're good to go.

Kitchen scales are like 10 bucks at walmart.  Plus you can use it for mariju-- i mean uh cooking recipes too.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1