Cayuga What’s happening to people

What’s going on with boaters out on the lake? Out on Cayuga today probably 5 other boats out here an 2 of them run wide open within 25-30’ of us while we’re trolling. Not just that but it seems like people are losing consideration for others. Maybe because I’m older or is it just me?

I had a guy speed troll right behind me while I was at 2 mph, and I mean exactly behind me, not off even a tiny bit to either side of me, closer and closer to the point that he was literally 20 ft behind my boat and then of course he snagged most of my lines and I lost my rigs.  Couldn't believe another troller would do that.  Entire lake, and he's up inside my ass.  I pulled up to him after he finally passed me after he cut all my lines off, and tried to ask him what he was doing and let him know what he just did, and he just grumbled and went on his way.

its everywhere.. there are huge  cabin cruisers on autopilot going full throttle in some places, guys not even looking at what might be ahead, too busy drinking beer, and guys running flat out in heavy fog because they have radar, side scan etc...  I haven't had my boat out on a weekend in decades.. If I take my boat out, its  typically  on a weekday from sept to may.. once the yahoos are out there, i'm AWOL...

One thing that scares me is diving your 30 feet underwater and somebody comes up right over the top of you and when you come up to ask them what’s going on they say oh I just was curious what the flag was.

Got my lines sucked up into another boats motor at least once a year for the past 3 years. Last guy said he didnt know.. but his motor wouldnt run because of my lines all wrapped up in his prop. I actually was able to reel him in almost all the way to my boat. Lol. I followed him to the dock and he gave me $20.. did not cover 4 lines and 4 lures. 

• Haha 1

It isn't just today either. Back in the seventies on Sodus Bay I was top lining and a bass boat went across my two lines and spooled both reels and with no money on me or other reels I was done fishing for the day about 8AM and 40 miles from home.:-(.  It isn't just people that don't know what they are doing either. Every Spring and Fall when perch fishing other perch guys come full tilt up to where you are fishing and either crowd you or take off full blast spooking the fish.....not "accidental".  I  have actually had them cast sinkers into my boat.The bottom line is that there are people out there that are discourteous to others and basically don't give a damn.

Edited by Sk8man

On 8/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, mcvic said:

Yea I only troll on weekdays as too many boats and stinkin jet ski’s get way too close on weekends. Fewer of them on weekdays.  Most of them have not a clue you are trolling. They think “Just an old guy going slow. 

They think just an old guy going slow. Thats funny!

On 8/24/2022 at 1:50 PM, tim said:

What’s going on with boaters out on the lake? Out on Cayuga today probably 5 other boats out here an 2 of them run wide open within 25-30’ of us while we’re trolling. Not just that but it seems like people are losing consideration for others. Maybe because I’m older or is it just me?

There is more and more asshats today than ever🤬

Change is on the way. Within a few years now, every NYS boater will have to pass a boating test not unlike a drivers test. That should decrease ignorance a bit.

Edited by rolmops

4 hours ago, rolmops said:

Change is on the way. Within a few years now, every NYS boater will have to pass a boating test not unlike a drivers test. That should decrease ignorance a bit.

That SHOULD  help but I doubt it. It hasn’t decreased stupidity for jet ski operators.

Strange, no one has mentioned sailboats yet. Those are the guys that get to me.  They seem to purposely cut in front of you when you're trolling even when you and them are the only boats around for miles.

But I think Whaler got it right. Most just don't know any better........ as they run past you and wave......:headbang:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rolmops said:

Have you driven on the interstate lately?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric66 said:

Strange, no one has mentioned sailboats yet. Those are the guys that get to me.  They seem to purposely cut in front of you when you're trolling even when you and them are the only boats around for miles.

But I think Whaler got it right. Most just don't know any better........ as they run past you and wave......:headbang:

Happen to me sail boat hit my boat when I was trolling with my daughter. She's taking sailing classes at yacht club and she was  Yelling drop the sail drop the sail and the guy totally ignore so there is no any kind of pill for STUPID 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:19 PM, tim said:

One thing that scares me is diving your 30 feet underwater and somebody comes up right over the top of you and when you come up to ask them what’s going on they say oh I just was curious what the flag was.

A few years ago we were diving in the SLR near Alex Bay.  A guy in a boat came up to our dive flag and tried to take it!  Same story, "I didn't know what it was".

On 8/26/2022 at 7:14 AM, hunter59 said:

i think alot of people are brain damaged from the vaccine clot shots and they are definitely causing more vaccidents , that is a fact !

Another fact is that the enemies of Qumerica have secretly moved the pedophile vaccine to Niagara Falls and now all the fish in the lake are carrying the pedestrian pedophile germs. And according to my personal pederast pedometer all fish in the lake from the tiniest stickleback to the biggest salmon now carries the perfect personal pedestrian pedipalp pedal peripheral pedophile virus and eating fish from the lake will probably expose you to this virus 

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1