I've caught browns in the spring but haven't targeted them in the summer or fall. My understanding is to fish near the bottom in about 58 degrees? What lures work? Any advice for targeting them? I fish in Henderson and sometimes Mexico.

Thank you in advance.

Of course, spoons will work just fine.... but stickbaits are money for browns year round!!!... the later we get in the fall, the closer in the BT's will move obvi and its just easier in tight to run em. Also, as far as temps go obvi cooler water is ideal but the further we get into the fall you can kinda but not totally throw temps out out of the equation (early September and onward) I can locate big schools of fish well outside of temps staging in front of the tribs, and I know some ppl will say different and find fish other ways but thats my experience and that's when I find that stickbaits start to outfish my spoons for BT's. Sizes, all different sizes will work, browns eat alwife and smelt that are sometimes 6-7in long so theyll eat bigger baits than you think. Use the sizes that correspond with whatever depth ur fichin. Bay Rat deep divers will work good until they move in close, for BT's and all other salmonoids! I've also done very well with live target banana baits (smelt) but they don't run as deep as the deep Bay Rats. Do yourself a favor and grab some anise scent (I also like herring) either smelly jelly or lunker lotion, put a layer on ur stickbaits (all lures) sometimes it'll get ya a few extra bites that day. Hope this helps and tight lines!!!

Edited by troutslayer81
  • Like 1

What does obvi stand for? Obviously? How does depth correspond with sizes of lures? Does depth determine colors? I used to use jointed rapalas. I also used to use thundersticks. Do they work? Like 15 bucks now…Any spoon size or color suggestions? What depth works with the diver bay rats?

Thanks for taking time out to help. 

Different size stickbaits dive pre determined depths,  should be marked on the package. All different colors, all different sizes. Rapalas are awesome!! I personally just prefer thundersticks cause I'm old school, and Bay Rats. Spoons same thing all different size/colors, but you can't go wrong with natural colors most of the time. Natural color during sunny days. florescent patterns for cloudy days (and stained water).

Walleye love Bay Rats, and most other stickbaits. You'll find browns shallower than kings yes. Watch for lake flips (upwelling) during the summer months, and that colder water will usually draw them closer to shore especially around mouths of tributaries. Aside from that, target them between like 50-110 fow during the summer. Start shallower first thing in the a.m., and slide out as the the morning goes by if you need to. Also, if you can find pockets of stained water, there will probably be BTs around more times than not.

Edited by troutslayer81

Look for where 60 degree water meets the bottom. Fish one rod five feet ish above that and another up another ten. 
If in 50 feet of depth or more run 20 foot leads. In my opinion mag spoons work best this time of year and you won’t catch as many skipper kings. 1.8 to 2.5 MPH. 

Take your time and cover some water. Don’t be afraid to go a little deeper or a little shallower. Good luck!