Fish ID.

A buddy caught one in front of I-Bay on Sunday. He called his a whitefish. Very hard to distinguish the two. Uncle google says both are salmonoids and good for smoking cause of the high fat content. 

i find them hard to keep lit myself.    😂

• 2 weeks later...

THEY SURE GOOD SMOKED!! IN THE UP OF MICHIGAN THERE ARE  OLD FASHIONED CONVENIENCE STORES THAT HAVE SMOKE HOUSES  JUST OUTSIDE. THEY SELL ALL KINDS OF SMOKED FISH AS THEY ARE CLOSE TO L HURON AND LAKE SUPERIOR. WHITEFISH ONE OF THE VERY BEST. I HAD A SMOKED WHITEFISH CHIP DIP AT A  NOT TO FANCY FAMILY RESTAURANT THAT WAS ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR,  DID YOU CATCH THEM TROLLING WHAT KIND OF LURE DID THEY HIT? L. ONTARIO USED TO BE FULL OF L WHITE FISH. L ERIE STILL HAS THEM TOO AT THE WEST END BUT NO ONE SEEMS TO CATCH THEM ON THE EAST END. THE MAIN BIOLOGIST FOR L. ERIE TOLD ME THEY HAVE NETTED THEM IN 90 FT OF WATER IN FROM OF BARCELONA. L. SIMCO HAS THEM IN ONTARIO CANADA. GREEN BAY WISCONSIN HAS THEM AND THEY CATCH THEM THROUGH THEM THE ICE 1 LB TO 5 LBS GOOD FIGHTERS TO SO I HAVE READ. DIFFERENT SPECIES OF WF? SEEM BIGGER OUT OF SIMCO AND GREEN BAY. IN SOME NOTHERN CANADA LAKES NO LIMIT ON THEM. WISH WE HAD MORE OF THEM AROUND HERE!!! THX FOR SHARING.

ABSOLUTELY 100% A WHITEFISH.  OPEN LINK BELOW WHITEFISH VS CISCO AND YOU'LL SEE A VERY NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/whitefish.html
I looked at the pictures in the link. Cisco snout doesn't overhang bottom lip. Along with the black patches, certainly appears the author seems to have caught a Cisco

Sent from my SM-T720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app