Been itching to get out again after several earlier attempts in the season resulting in only Steelhead and browns. An hour north of Auburn and I'm launched in fairhaven. Set up at 1:30 p.m. and fish to 3:30 p.m. weather was iffy so we stuck in close which is where I believe the fish to be based on reports. Started trolling in 75 ft with riggers at 65 and 55. Worked 95 pretty good and that was the area I was marking the most fish. Worked out to 105 and back into 75. Decided 95 range was the best Target area and work that in the last hour. After 2 hours we had nothing to show for it and a storm was coming in from the west. Decided to pack up and told my 10-year-old kid to grab and pop the rods and bring up the downrigger. He just got the first rod in and put away when he was reaching for the second rod it popped and we had a screamer. Fish hit on the 65 down carbon 14 spoon. Fought that bugger for a half hour and every time it got close to the boat it would peel off line again. By this time we were in the storm and anxious to get out of there so I put maximum pressure on the fish hoping for the best. The kid netted it and lifted that 20-pounder into the boat by himself. We were soaking wet but happy as hell. Needless to say my boy is anxious to go at it again. Great memories!

20220830_171309.jpg

Edited by lumberjohn
Correct spelling
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Gotta love it, you never know when it’s going to happen but glad it finally did for you.  Can’t wait to get up there myself.  My lost landlock from last weekend on Owasco keeps calling me but if I can get up on the big lake soon it would be great.

• Like 1

great glad for you and your son awesome!

we also had 2 screamers end of day pulling riggers and rods on late night we fish light to dark and it was dark carbon 14 25+ that hasnt happened in awhile.  Only getting better get out there! Cant wait to get back hopefully this weekend.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Gotta love it, you never know when it’s going to happen but glad it finally did for you.  Can’t wait to get up there myself.  My lost landlock from last weekend on Owasco keeps calling me but if I can get up on the big lake soon it would be great.

Are they putting landlocked salmon in Owasco again? They used to years ago but I haven't caught any there in 20 years. Live on owasco.

4 hours ago, Amylee said:

great glad for you and your son awesome!

we also had 2 screamers end of day pulling riggers and rods on late night we fish light to dark and it was dark carbon 14 25+ that hasnt happened in awhile.  Only getting better get out there! Cant wait to get back hopefully this weekend.

I'll be back up in Fairhaven Saturday giving it another go with my brother.

Yeah, the stocking for both ended in the early 2000’s I believe but the walleyes are still around and reproducing on their own but I thought landlocked were still an occasional catch, too.  I had something take a rip on my leadcore with a scatter rap down about 15’ over 100’ and spooled me down to 2 or 3 cranks of the trolling reel before it lept and shook the hook.  I assumed it was a salmon because I never had a rainbow or brown run like that on the hit.  I guess I would feel better if I knew it wasn’t a unicorn landlock. 

6 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

No walleyes either

I manage to catch a few walleyes every year. Got a couple trolling around Burtis Point early in the summer. Bunch of boys got this beauty off the dock this summer.

20210813_203905.jpg

Edited by lumberjohn
Spelling
  • Like 1