Cannon Mag10

greenhornet73

I have an older Cannon Mag10A with a LCD display that has been disconnected from the inside of the housing.  I bought it used like this and am wondering if this can be replaced? The toggle switch functions fine raising and lowering the ball but would like to get it back in full working condition if possible. 

A54F25CA-6892-4141-A7AC-37874F46FD89.jpeg

Cannon Digi Troll

I had the first model which looks like this one. Just loved it until one day it failed. It kept turning itself off after the ball was out and down. Imagine pulling in a 10 pd ball attached to wire w/o gloves! Then having a kinked mess in the boat because it couldn’t wind up. I tried to have it repaired professionally many many times but no go, it always failed. If you want a scanned copy of the original Computrol Manual I can send it the next time I am near a scanner . But I can’t say when exactly being on the lake right now.

jim

Thank you Jim.  Since you had the same model I am wondering if the toggle switch on the front was an add-on because the display wasn’t working or if yours had it as well? It would be nice to have them both operational so if the screen stopped working like yours did I can still use the toggle to winch up the ball.

That is an original Digitrol- not sure when those were made but I know the Digitrol 2 was out in the mid to late 80’s as I had a pair.  I don’t think you’ll have much luck finding a display as they haven’t bee available for at least twenty years.  Guys kept them going by converting to standard Mag 10 and getting rid of display.  Sounds like yours is setup that way with switch for up and down as Digitrol just used keypad.

You don’t necessarily need to replace that rigger right now if it functions with the switch.  You can remove the keypad and caulk up the holes and continue to use it less the keypad.  Those old and slow Mag 10A can continue to work especially if you stay with weights less than 10lb.  Not many parts available and motors are especially hard to find.  If it works use it-just don’t put much money into it.  In the meantime you can be on the look out for something newer that can handle heavier weights.

I may be wrong but I thought the digitroll could be set to self adjust to stay off of bottom by whatever distance it was set to, I could be confusing it with a different model. That would have been great for me since I often fish alone which is why I was hopeful to get it working. I’m assuming the ones that do that now are the pricier ones over $1,000?

Couple of things,

Cannon sells an additional bottom tracking system. I have it but haven’t tried it. It has received mixed reviews due to response time when faced with sudden bottom changes. 

When my Digitroll failed and kept failing,  everything failed! 

Good luck

The early Digitrol s did not have bottom tracking.  They only preset depths and cycled.  In those days electronics weren’t networked and there was no gps.  Most guys used a combination of paper graphs and flasher depth finders.  Navigation was LORAN.  No cell phones either so the vhf radio was the source of information or disinformation depending on the source.  Electronics have come a long way since those days.  Guys have so much more information available today that what was available then.