Max's Tackle & Bait Cove - Rochester NY

JJBat150

Wow!  That brings back memories.  First of all Ted Cornish is the father of the Gene Cornish of the Young Rascals. my best friend and would hang around Max's talking all about fishing.  this was before any Great Lakes salmonid programs.  he would keep all the biggest chubs for pike ice fishing.  I think that was before or early Jay-Ve tackle days on Mt hope Ave.  Ahh memories

• Like 2

Out of the service, USN, in November 1966.  Used to stop at Max's, every Friday night in the winter to purchase Michigan wigglers for ice fishing on Conesus Lake. The perch fishing was very good late 60's to the early 1970's. Almost invariably, while in Max's shop, there would be several young men singing. A little out of place for a B&T shop was my thought. Yet, at the same time, " these guys are pretty good." The rest of the story is musical history. I also recall that Max, in his well worn flannel shirt, was sort of a, "surly character," in his own way. (demeaner) He seemed almost oblivious to the constant singing/music that emanated from the young men. His shop was a mish mass of tackle, much different then today's B&T store.  Also, JV tackle was located at this time, on the second floor of an old building on Mt. Hope Avenue. I recall going there on one occasion to purchase ice fishing tackle. Bob, the owner, (do not recall his last name) seemed almost annoyed at my request. He went to back of the store and returned with one plastic tackle container filled with various jigs. That was, at the time, his sum total of ice fishing gear/lures. A very far cry from the offerings we have today. In addition, there were several other B&T shops around the city, and just about every town also had a shop.  Just sayin ... Willi

Out of the service, USN, in November 1966.  Used to stop at Max's, every Friday night in the winter to purchase Michigan wigglers for ice fishing on Conesus Lake. The perch fishing was very good late 60's to the early 1970's. Almost invariably, while in Max's shop, there would be several young men singing. A little out of place for a B&T shop was my thought. Yet, at the same time, " these guys are pretty good." The rest of the story is musical history. I also recall that Max, in his well worn flannel shirt, was sort of a, "surly character," in his own way. (demeaner) He seemed almost oblivious to the constant singing/music that emanated from the young men. His shop was a mish mass of tackle, much different then today's B&T store.  Also, JV tackle was located at this time, on the second floor of an old building on Mt. Hope Avenue. I recall going there on one occasion to purchase ice fishing tackle. Bob, the owner, (do not recall his last name) seemed almost annoyed at my request. He went to back of the store and returned with one plastic tackle container filled with various jigs. That was, at the time, his sum total of ice fishing gear/lures. A very far cry from the offerings we have today. In addition, there were several other B&T shops around the city, and just about every town also had a shop.  Just sayin ... Willi
Bob Gilmore used to own Jay Vee....
I don't remember the Mt Hope Store... But I was in Jay Vees on Norton alot....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We used to stop at Max’s for bait in the late sixties, early seventies. Clinton Ave just South of Norton. JV’s on Mt. Hope was by the Ford St bridge.

Anyone remember Pasch’s tackle on Hudson Ave?