Lake flip details

I've read about Lake flipping this weekend but couldn't find was I was looking for.  We went fishing out of Cobourg on Saturday August the 20 and got 11 nice Kings and steelhead mix.  Returned on September 3rd at the same spot, about 12 miles off shore with little luck. Water temp was 40 deg at 30 feet.  One experienced Lake Superior guy with us was saying the Salmon is gone up river we're fishing too far. So we headed towards shore, still nothing marking and no bites.  Headed back to the 250 feet depths and started reeling in steelheads.  Ended up with 7 catch between 2 and 10 pounds.

So searching online on why and how while waiting for a bite I stumbled on the dreaded "Lake flipped on Wednesday" thread but no details on what to do about it.  There was a debate in the boat on going to the river mouth to troll or further south offshore.  With steelhead biting we stayed on the spot and at least brought something back in our coolers.

That being said, in early September is the Salmon gone from the deep waters inshore to the river mouth or did the lake flip send it further south in deeper waters seeking the warm water?  I know probably both, but where would be the hottest bite if we would have to pick between the two?  How about mid summer flip?  Most likely head further offshore?

I have an 8 rod spread, 2 riggers, 2 dipsys, 1 mono on the planer running on the surface just in case and 3 coppers at 200, 350 and 450.  Coopers caught 6 out of 7 fish, other on dipsys.

mature salmon are going to be staging near the river mouths and heading up the river this time of year... it can be tricky to time it right to catch them nearshore and actually get them to bite.  Many target the 80-120 FOW range and in even tighter in low light.  water temps are less important as they are programmed to get up the river regardless...  You can still catch immature salmon and maybe a stray late matures offshore.