Getting ready for upcoming deer season

Kevin J Legg

I’ve been working hard the past week setting up ladder stands and pop up blinds in anticipation for the upcoming deer season. It’s always good to get things done early so things settle down by opening day.
  I did lots of chainsaw work cutting shooting lanes and am very happy with my results. I just set out 5 trail cams for some intell before the final tweaking of my stands.

I saw my first buck rub today so I’m excited to check trail cams latter this week. I will also be glassing fields to try to help pattern deer movement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scouting and work paid off for opening weekend of Muzzleloader. I shot a doe first evening and more importantly got my sister in law one the second morning. Only her second deer.Now I have some meat I will be looking for a good buck. My shot looks like it was back but that’s the exit.  Bullet entered farther forward so both were good shots.

Now I’ll be looking for a good buck and will try to get my wife and son one.

0B1484F6-F5B4-49D6-B9A1-8B5374EF55C6.jpeg

2C15E9E7-0F00-4FDD-8860-892E20DA4A14.jpeg

Edited by Kevin J Legg
  • Like 2

Let a spike go this morning. He was scent marking on brush up through the field. Even stood up on hind legs a few times to reach up higher.

Tonight I had several does and fawns out in the field. The photo through the scope was very difficult to take.

7A052B48-5860-4C3E-8843-A85A11D8D5CF.jpeg

BE10D617-03D5-44C9-8D04-7E4AD5BD4FB6.jpeg

Edited by Kevin J Legg
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazingly I found my old buck knife in the field half way to where I shot a deer. Must have fallen off the truck. It has served me well for nearly 50 years and was a gift from one of my first basketball teams. Ryan Legg gave me a new replacement one for Christmas.

I also took down 3 blinds and a trail cam as the end of the season is approaching. May try to get out a few more times as I have a either fun loving muzzleloader tag left for late season and several doe tags. Doubt if I’d shoot a doe at least on the property I’ve been hunting.F1E89321-ECED-431F-B6F2-A4F366728B82.thumb.jpeg.62690cb99248701170acc643720282a1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, Kevin J Legg said:

3 rifles and a pistol cleaned and stored. Muzzleloader ready to go as we’re down to late muzzleloader season.

our ML season came in sat the 3rd here in IN. but I'm not going to get much hunting in as I'm just not able to hunt alone. my son canceled last weekend and he has to work the last weekend. but we are planning to hunt this coming weekend. the ML season is all I hunt any more. but we have a late antlerless season that we can hunt on some public land we have hunted before. so, if I can just get motivated to motivate him, we may hunt during that season a little.

I will be taking my 15 year old granddaughter for her 1st ever deer hunt. if things go good, I might just take her and go hunting with just the 2 of us the last weekend and maybe just do a little more hunting during our late antlerless hunt that starts the sat after our ML season ends. who knows?