Legacy -The 2022 Season-

Legacy

2 hours ago, ckawaki said:

Thank you hopefully Iit all works out

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Depending on the shot placement, you may not have a lot of blood.  Bullets also make a big difference.  I was shooting Powerbelts out of my first muzzleloader and never had a good blood trail.  The bullets didnt mushroom out, they fragmented.   Every deer I shot with it died in sight so it wasn't a big deal.  I now use Hornady FTX or SST bullets and that issue has gone away.  Good luck with the recovery!  

When I shot mine on Sunday I thought I missed it when I 1st checked. Shot with 12 gauge at 70 yards with open sights since I was hunting a thicket. Buck jumped after I shot it and ran into thicket where I couldn’t see it anymore. I figured there would be blood all over the snow. Nope, didn’t see blood when I 1st checked and was heart broken thinking I blew my shot at a big one. Upon a closer look I found hair and blood splatter on the trees behind where the deer was standing. So I knew it hit it and there was an exit but there was very little blood in the snow. Waited an hour for buddy to come track with me. Followed the tracks in the snow with very little blood. Now I was thinking I wounded it and that was worse than missing. Buck only ran 20-30 yards in thicket. Double lung shot but hardly any blood trail. Good luck and keep us posted if you find it. 

• Like 1

Same here yesterday,  sst sabot- 70 yards shoulder shot. No blood first 40 yards which at first made me think i missed and only a splatter here and there after. No snow to help me so almost on hands and knees searching through a scrub brush field.

Only reason this pic has a big wound is bc of follow up shot. Other side was where i first hit him and I could barely fit my pinkie finger in. Good luck searching today and hope you find him!

20221122_095648.jpg

20221122_100640.jpg

Edited by zach
  • Like 5

x3 on the lack of blood. I'm shooting a .270 Winchester round, and I made a perfect shot at 40 yards. I don't know if there just wasn't enough time for the bullet to expand, but my entrance and exit holes were quite small, with zero blood until about 3 yards from where he died, then there was only a very light mist visible only because of the snow. He went 80-100 yards before expiring. I guess I'm used to broadheads, which leave a blood trail a blind man could follow.

So, did you find the buck? Good luck.

Well went in at 7 am got on the blood trail found 9 lays where he went down 150 yds later he was there coyotes just got to him a very tiny in a$$ 13405.thumb.jpg.99f605a166bf84e8fb253544fa80f439.jpg13361.thumb.jpg.f97cc9626884e01c25618d33f4f1fa8f.jpg13360.thumb.jpg.8b7910f9104395cb0b02c0986038cf2f.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome! Congrats. Was he shoulder hit?

Sent from my SM-S134DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app