Legacy -The 2022 Season-

Legacy

Opening week started with a wicked cold and even though I hunted it wasn't the same. Took this decent, thick 10 Tuesday the 29th at 2:45 pm. As a side note I had 2 mature Does 40 yards from me opening day as I was coughing up a lung into my Cough Silencer and they never knew I was there! I thought it was pretty gimmicky but man does it work! 

PXL_20221130_120337391.jpg

PXL_20221130_124025756.jpg

PXL_20221130_165114345.jpg

• Like 14

Didnt hunt today but did a few hunting related things.

1. Went to the range and shot the muzzleloader. It needed a little bit adjustment on scope. Zeroed at 100. Something I noticed (shooting the Blackhorn 209 powder) is it seems to shoot better the more I shoot. Gun does not like to be clean.

2. Put up additional posted signs in the biggest problem area for trespasser access.

3. Did a quick scout and built a quick ground blind for the late season.

Bring on the muzzy season!!!

Was able to get out for a morning and evening hunt today. Really felt good about shooting something today. Almost got a doe and a coyote during the morning hunt but things didn't work out. Had some nice bucks on cam lately, just had to be in the right spot. Tonight was the night. Sat on the ground on a field edge with some rolling hills that the deer feel comfortable down in. Had some small bucks come out first. About half an hour later one of the bucks I've been looking for came out and came into the opening I needed. First time using both buck tags. Great day! 

20221204_174024.jpg

• Like 15

Looking forward to getting back on stand. Less than a week to go. I was also just reminded of the "holiday hunt" for late season. Looks like its gonna be a permanent thing. 2 plus weeks in the late season now so lots of time on the clock to get it done. Looks like seasonal temps are coming. Lows in the 20s and highs only in the low 30s. We just need a little snow on the ground.

map showing 2022 muzzleloading season in NYS

• Like 2

Could somebody remind me? I'd thought that the holiday hunt was doe only, but the DEC website clearly states that deer of either fun loving may be taken.

Did this change since last year? Or am I crazy? I guess the two are not mutually exclusive...

1 hour ago, Gator said:

Could somebody remind me? I'd thought that the holiday hunt was doe only, but the DEC website clearly states that deer of either fun loving may be taken.

Did this change since last year? Or am I crazy? I guess the two are not mutually exclusive...

The September hunt is doe only and only certain SZ WMUs. The Holiday hunt is just an extension of the normal late ML season in the southern zone. So any tag can be used.

There is some legislation in the works that may allow counties to opt out. The NYSCC is urging people to ask the governer to veto S6510/A7785.

Edited by reeleyz

33 minutes ago, Gator said:

Nothing has changed, all tags are legal you can call Mallory today at Avon and ask her!!! 

1 hour ago, Gator said:

Its funny I looked it up also to make sure. I scanned the DEC website to make sure that all tags were valid.

Nebraska muzzleloader muley!   First after noon  after a 3 mile hike in. Be for finally seeing any life. First animal see. In trip. Was a big horn sheep ! Wicked cool to see at under 200 yards they are big critters. After seeming him we spot a group of deer 1.5 miles back we out on a stalk. And was able to get above them. They were all be tween 250-360 yards out. Our wind switched kn us and they all started to get spooky they all ran out into a cluster at 354 yards. Where I was able to separate him and get a clean shot between him and his doe dropping him in his tracks. Day two my brother in law was able to get a nice 3x3. Yesterday seen a lot on private not public back out this afternoon teo. Ore tags to fill!

A3ADDE8F-10CC-4E70-8051-27B5F58E6364.jpeg

65EC5336-CB8C-421A-9998-B9087D6EF29D.jpeg

3F1F3C6B-1975-4BC1-B1DD-A2B9E4B7B568.jpeg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Eastforkmarine said:

Nothing has changed, all tags are legal you can call Mallory today at Avon and ask her!!! 

That's right, Mal is officially at DEC now. Good for her!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, reeleyz said:

The September hunt is doe only and only certain SZ WMUs. The Holiday hunt is just an extension of the normal late ML season in the southern zone. So any tag can be used.

There is some legislation in the works that may allow counties to opt out. The NYSCC is urging people to ask the governer to veto S6510/A7785.

Thanks for the info. I just opposed this bill on the Ny Senate website!!! Not that my county would vote to get rid of it but I love the Holiday hunt! Last year was phenomenal.

14 hours ago, Never Ends said:

Thanks for the info. I just opposed this bill on the Ny Senate website!!! Not that my county would vote to get rid of it but I love the Holiday hunt! Last year was phenomenal.

You should also send a message to the Governor with this link and ask her to veto S6510/A7785.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/content/governor-contact-form

Edited by reeleyz

Brayden shot his second deer this evening.  75 yd shot, deer quartered to us as he shot. Here is the story:   We have been seeing deer pour into a cut bean field every night and figured it would be a good way for Brayden to shoot his second deer.  We got set up in a hedgerow on the South side of the field.  Wind was NNE all afternoon so it was perfect.  At 4:25, I see a nice buck step out of the hedgerow at 75 yds.  Brayden slowly swings the .270 in the tripod onto the buck.  He asks me if he can take him and I have him the thumbs up.  As he clicks the safety off, the buck raises his head and bolts into the hedgerow!  Ten minutes later, I see a tail flicker in the same hedgerow in the same area.  Out steps a button buck and a doe.  He slipped his hearing protection on and I told him to shoot the deer on the right.  He didn’t hear me and pulled the trigger on the button buck.🤦🏻‍♂️  I watched the doe run off uninjured.  Brayden pulled off his hearing protection and I asked him which deer he shot.  He said the one on the left.  After a call to the neighbor to get permission to go on his property, the track job was pretty short but into the thickest brush on the planet.  We recovered his second deer in his second season of deer hunting!  I will get some better photos tomorrow in the day light.  

F722B314-90BA-4C36-B7B2-3A2554B56F4B.jpeg

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Brayden shot his second deer this evening.  75 yd shot, deer quartered to us as he shot. Here is the story:   We have been seeing deer pour into a cut bean field every night and figured it would be a good way for Brayden to shoot his second deer.  We got set up in a hedgerow on the South side of the field.  Wind was NNE all afternoon so it was perfect.  At 4:25, I see a nice buck step out of the hedgerow at 75 yds.  Brayden slowly swings the .270 in the tripod onto the buck.  He asks me if he can take him and I have him the thumbs up.  As he clicks the safety off, the buck raises his head and bolts into the hedgerow!  Ten minutes later, I see a tail flicker in the same hedgerow in the same area.  Out steps a button buck and a doe.  He slipped his hearing protection on and I told him to shoot the deer on the right.  He didn’t hear me and pulled the trigger on the button buck.🤦🏻‍♂️  I watched the doe run off uninjured.  Brayden pulled off his hearing protection and I asked him which deer he shot.  He said the one on the left.  After a call to the neighbor to get permission to go on his property, the track job was pretty short but into the thickest brush on the planet.  After a short search, we recovered his second deer in his second season of deer hunting!  I will get some better photos tomorrow in the day light.  

F722B314-90BA-4C36-B7B2-3A2554B56F4B.jpeg

That’s a great job!

I heard if you don't fill your regular season buck tag that you can fill it during late season muzzleloader is that true does anyone know

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Check you area but all tags should be valid

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app