Legacy -The 2022 Season-

Legacy

All my cameras including Iowa have slowly shut down. I agree with Gator pressure from boots on the ground ends things until late season then after snow rain and less people.. less human scent. Then bodies get hungry from rut decline they have to feed. Although I saw one six point yesterday. Two days off to clean gear and hit the range one last time then it’s off to Iowa Saturday!!! GOODLUCK to all that are grinding it out.

• Like 1

December 14 pm
32 degrees
NE wind 5-10 mph
Cloudy becoming partly sunny

Another slow start. Got into the blind at 1 and didn't see my first deer until 3. That would be the only deer I saw between 1 and 410. After that deer slowly started making their way out into the field. Although I saw 15 deer (including 2 young bucks) it was a pretty boring sit.
Big front coming through Thursday so hopefully some snow gets dropped. Snow always helps this time of year.

IMG_20221214_163405443_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Took a day off of work to get out for a muzzleloader hunt up here on the northern edge of the Southern zone in 7A.  About 20° when I left the house this morning, steady 10 to 15 mile an hour wind out of the east with an occasional gust that makes the treestand feel like a carnival ride. No deer movement yet this morning was hoping the approaching front would have them on their feet, but nothing yet. 

good luck to all for the rest of the season and happy holidays to everyone 

3C76ED95-6E31-4EF8-B2A6-F105E2EE8A9D.jpeg

• Like 2

Went and changed a bunch of batteries in cameras before the storm. Dad and cousin still have buck tags so hoping to find one for them to shoot!    have a few decent bucks around but a few of the other big boys have gone mia.   So we will see if something happens for them got my fingers crossed.  

Edited by machzrcr
  • Like 2

The rain finally quit... Back on overwatch from the ground for the afternoon. Seems like the perfect setup to me. Wind is in my face but I feel like there is good odds that deer come in from over my right shoulder. Let the chess match continue!

Southern Steuben county. Finally had a fresh snow so I took the day off and headed to my lease. Started by tracking a spike buck burn bumped him, wouldn’t have shot him anyway. Later in the morning I filled a set of tracks that I knew was does/dawns. Caught up to them after a half mile or so just as I was about to take my gaiters off because hey were too noises and I saw one bedded down. Watched her for a while and then the three of them got up and walked right to me. Had her dead to rights at 25 yards but didn’t shoot, have one in the freezer already and wasn’t really thrilled about the 900 yard drag back to the truck. I won without pulling the trigger. Hunted my neighbors property for the evening and saw some really cool “2nd rut” activity. I was about 5 seconds from shooting a doe when a unicorn, a spike  and a 4 pt showed up and chased her off. Those bucks chased small does and fawns

around until after shooting time. I’ll be back  in that blind tomorrow for sure just hopefully the does (or a nice buck) show up a bit sooner. I am so grateful for my neighbor allowing me to hunt his land! 

Edited by dawsonscreek
  • Like 3

December 16 pm
34 degrees
W wind 5 mph
Cloudy skies
Light sprinkle

Saw a ton of deer after 4 pm today. 25 total including one young buck. Not what I had hoped but it was good to see that many deer pounding that field. Just need the right one to slip up and hopefully I'm in range.

IMG_20221216_142543746_HDR.jpg