Legacy -The 2022 Season-

Legacy

70 yard broadside shot. Deer mule kicked and ran forward about 20 yards. Stopped. Then slowly walked forward about another 20 yards. I thought he went down. I gave  it 45 minutes and went over by the area and glassed it with binocs. Couldnt see him so I backed out. I went home and picked up my kid and we went back there. just over 2 hrs after the shot. We started where I though he was and Found tracks leading away from me with some blood. There is literally deer tracks every where so its very tough to see... Left a marker on the last drop of blood and backed out. The lack of blood is disturbing but I feel good about the shot. I just dont want to take any chances. 

48 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Well I reached out to Bob Yax for dog tracking. We will be out there tomorrow am . Gonna be a tough nights sleep.

Bob and his dog Thor are absolutely amazing. He found my beautiful buck this year......it ran 1/3 of a mile with a destroyed liver, single lung and hole in its diaphragm. Bob will walk you through the shot process, ask all kinds of questions about where your shot was, make you fill out the grid for shot placement, etc. His dog is really cool (found my deer after it went through thick bedding, 35,000 deer trails, doubled back on the blood trail and crossed a main road and finally into a corn field also filled with 1000's of tracks!!!).

These tracking guys/gals are simply phenomenal - they take the time to find your deer and are incredibly kind and they care about the deer as much as you do.

Thor will find it as it sounds like you have a fatal hit. Sounds like possible direct heart hit or even liver, guts if he bucked like that..... but certainly fatal. I also think the snow helps with scent.

Thor found pinhead sized blood specks with my deer and as mentioned found it after it crossed a road.  Bob and Thor will give it their all for you. Just do NOT pet Thor if he finds your deer........ Bob will warn you

Good luck, try and relax tonight and let us know how you make out

Chris

Edited by momay4000

Shout out to my boy Isaac for always making me feel at home on his land during gun season. Was able to harvest my first and second ever muzzleloader deer tonight! It’s been a blessed season. I got three in the freezer early and I’ve been able to bless four other families with the last four that I have taken. 

EA39D53A-8325-4CAA-81C1-E0ACF90C318C.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks for all the positive vibes everyone!

So the update is... no deer. Major disappointment to say the least. Brought in Thor and Bob Yax to track and there just wasnt blood. From what we could tell I must have grazed him and oddly it was enough for him to mule kick. About 60-80 yards all I had 5 pin drops of blood. Put Thor on the tracks and eventually he lost interest. Good news is the deer is still alive and kicking. Maybe with just a slight flesh wound.  Deer was 60-70 Broadside. Not a shot I should ever miss.

Rewind... 2 weeks ago I shot and missed a buck standing in the exact same spot. Literally the same spot. I figured I rushed the shot because I had a very short window to make it happen. My first response was to head to the range the next day and make sure it was all me. At the range my first 2 shots out of the gun were almost 9" high and 9" left at 100 yards. It was obvious that I must have shot over him and spent some time correcting the gun. Yesterday wasnt any different. After realizing that I "missed" this deer I went to the range again. My first shot was right 9".  Im guessing I grazed the buck in his brisket and that was the reason for the mule kick.

The question is WTF is going on with this gun???? I dont claim to be a sniper but these are chip shots that I should be missing. These opportunities are slim so to have equipment failures really blows my mind. I spent over 2 hours at the range yesterday and left there satisfied that the gun is shooting where it is supposed to. It is zeroed for 100. The last three shots yesterday were 1.5 " group.  For those wondering I am shooting a CVA Accura V2 w/ Leupold VX Freedom Scope,100 grains (volume) of Blackhorn 209 powder w/ Blackhorn 209 breech, CCI Mag primers, and Barnes Spit-fire TMZ 250 grain bullets.

The saga continues...

14 minutes ago, Legacy said:

So the update is... no deer. Major disappointment to say the least. Brought in Thor and Bob Yax to track and there just wasnt blood. From what we could tell I must have grazed him and oddly it was enough for him to mule kick. About 60-80 yards all I had 5 pin drops of blood. Put Thor on the tracks and eventually he lost interest. Good news is the deer is still alive and kicking. Maybe with just a slight flesh wound.  Deer was 60-70 Broadside. Not a shot I should ever miss.

Rewind... 2 weeks ago I shot and missed a buck standing in the exact same spot. Literally the same spot. I figured I rushed the shot because I had a very short window to make it happen. My first response was to head to the range the next day and make sure it was all me. At the range my first 2 shots out of the gun were almost 9" high and 9" left at 100 yards. It was obvious that I must have shot over him and spent some time correcting the gun. Yesterday wasnt any different. After realizing that I "missed" this deer I went to the range again. My first shot was right 9".  Im guessing I grazed the buck in his brisket and that was the reason for the mule kick.

The question is WTF is going on with this gun???? I dont claim to be a sniper but these are chip shots that I should be missing. These opportunities are slim so to have equipment failures really blows my mind. I spent over 2 hours at the range yesterday and left there satisfied that the gun is shooting where it is supposed to. It is zeroed for 100. The last three shots yesterday were 1.5 " group.  For those wondering I am shooting a CVA Accura V2 w/ Leupold VX Freedom Scope,100 grains (volume) of Blackhorn 209 powder w/ Blackhorn 209 breech, CCI Mag primers, and Barnes Spit-fire TMZ 250 grain bullets.

The saga continues...

Are those bullets in a plastic sabot?

Sorry to hear that. The first thing I do with zero issues are verify all bedding and scope mounts and screws are torqued to spec. If you don't have a fat wrench you should consider getting one. It allows you to always get everything torqued exactly the same. Good luck with the rest of your season!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Legacy said:

The saga continues...

I would start with checking the scope mounts and if that is all fine, I would make sure the rings are seated properly (was a torque driver used to mount scope?) and if that checks out, I would be getting a new scope...   Something is not right, and you work too hard to get into position on a mature buck to have equipment failures.   Just my opinion.   

Dang!  ya those are definitely chip shots for the muzzy!! Only thing u should be worried about is the drop on your bullet at ranges 125-225 ( for those of us not shooting smokeless) lol.  I definitely agree with them.  Your scope is getting moved somehow. It's not the gun.  Either putting it in the case or taking it out,  or even how your holding it it may be hitting something. But either way it's moving the scope.  The bench guys have a whole science on making their scopes aligned.  Is it a new scope?   Definitely worth  checking  your mounting hardware.  And even giving it a little (stress test), wiggle it around put the gun in the case. Try to imitate the abuse of hunting.  Then shoot it again.