Legacy -The 2022 Season-

Legacy

2 hours ago, dvdegeorge said:

Also your gun may need a fouled barrel my Omega is a bit off on a clean bore but nowhere near 9"

I alway load a squib round with a small amount of powder and a patch pushed in tight and fire it off in to a garbage can and then load up 

This is my first thought. My Accura likes a fouled barrel.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Difference between cold bore and fouled should never be more than an inch. If it was, i would be calling CVA for a new gun 

Agreed ...Definitely not more than 2....9 inches something is loose or broke. Especially twice!

• Like 1

Scope and hardware visually check out ok. It was professionally installed by a notable gunsmith and nothing has moved according to the paint marker marks that he left. That doesnt mean the scope is junk though. :)

I purchased a CVA bullet starter along with a new ram rod and barnes bullet aligner. I noticed shooting yesterday that i would occasionally damage a ballistic tip when loading. So maybe im doing more damage than what I see. Maybe this is part of the issue or the entire issue. I should have everything today or tomorrow and once I do Im headed to the range again.

I would still put a fat wrench on everything to Make sure the torque is correct.   It doesn't necessarily need to turn to loosen. Especially if everything is new, recoil, heat cycles etc..

Good luck.

Edited by wrinklestar
  • Like 1

Any chance you hit it where you should have and just didn’t have blood?  A few years ago I shot one w a powerbelt with some fresh powdery snow on ground.  The deer ran off out of sight. When I got to where the deer was no blood….nothing!!  Thought no way I missed. Followed the tracks about 100 yards with not even a speck of blood. Walked up to a dead deer. Only blood the only time was a couple pin drops right next to deer. I was shocked at the lack of blood. I’ve had almost the same situation a couple of times when I used my sons 6.5 on a few hunts.   If there’s a lot of deer tracks maybe the dog was on the wrong track?

Edited by fishshack
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fishshack said:

Any chance you hit it where you should have and just didn’t have blood?  A few years ago I shot one w a powerbelt with some fresh powdery snow on ground.  The deer ran off out of sight. When I got to where the deer was no blood….nothing!!  Thought no way I missed. Followed the tracks about 100 yards with not even a speck of blood. Walked up to a dead deer. Only blood the only time was a couple pin drops right next to deer. I was shocked at the lack of blood. I’ve had almost the same situation a couple of times when I used my sons 6.5 on a few hunts.   If there’s a lot of deer tracks maybe the dog was on the wrong track?

Nope

It’s your scope.  I had the exact thing happen to my Leupold.  I missed a few really good deer at the same distance, 50-60 yards.  I would go back shoot the gun after missing one and get it back dialed in and the next outing it would be off again.  It took me two bad misses to send the scope to Leupold and had them replace the internal components to fix it.  Shoots lights out now.  My issue was that my scope cap was slightly touching my barrel and I believe as time went on the shock into the scope it  messed up IMO.   I have since changed to higher rings and I am good.  The story you told is my own about 5 years ago now.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. For now hopefully I'm all good. Not much I can do this late in the game. Gun shot good when I left the range yesterday so fingers are crossed it works when I need it to. It is unfortunate that my confidence is lacking and I really don't like that.

Ordered a new scope today as per Double D's recommendation. Not sure if it is the issue but it's not gonna hurt. I won't have it for the season here but I have 4 days in Ohio in January.

Once I get it setup I'll head to the range and get it dialed in. Hopefully regain my list confidence in this gun and my shooting. I'll keep you guys in the loop once I get some range time in again.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Legacy, How old is your powder I had all most the same thing happen at the range. firsts shot 2 inch high second shot right in center 3 shoot 10 inch left. cleaned the gun shoot 3 more with the same kind of results. I talked with a guy that is in to muzzle loaders and said to try new fresh powder mine was 1 year old and that fixed the problem. dead on at 100 yards, I would have thought it was the scope for sure. just a thought good luck.

Legacy, How old is your powder I had all most the same thing happen at the range. firsts shot 2 inch high second shot right in center 3 shoot 10 inch left. cleaned the gun shoot 3 more with the same kind of results. I talked with a guy that is in to muzzle loaders and said to try new fresh powder mine was 1 year old and that fixed the problem. dead on at 100 yards, I would have thought it was the scope for sure. just a thought good luck.

About 3/4 of the rounds I shot yesterday were with old powder and I actually opened a new container while I was there.

You are shooting exactly the same setup as I am. Based on what you've said, it's almost got to be the scope. Scotty had a scope that he'd been shooting on his shotgun for 20 years sh$t the bed this year while we were sighting in. Drifting all over the place every other shot. It wasn't an expensive scope and didn't owe him anything, so he replaced it. I definitely wouldn't be relying on the Leupold for your Ohio hunt - it's good you ordered something else. But if your mount is too low, and you have some weird reverb thing going on through contact, then you could see the same eventually with a new scope too. This sounds like an issue that's best left until after the season to sleuth. Too nice a scope to just ditch though.

One thought - I'm no expert, but I do know that if you over torque the mounting rings, you can damage the inner workings. Any chance you "tightened things up" when you sighted in this year?

Lots of good advice given. I have and have mounted 100+ scopes….everything from Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, Zeiss and Swarovski…..only one scope failure and it was a cheapo Bushnell. Rarely is it a scope failure, although certainly in the realm of possibilities but usually scope failure symptoms are erratic shots all over the place, slippage if your windage/elevation knobs, rattling when shook, rapid drops (good group and all of a sudden an outlier with a 10” drop). I’d do this:

1.) shoot all your shots with a bench rest

2.) buy a good scope mounting kit and fat wrench for torquing. If you’re spending $1500 on a scope, spend a few hundred more on good mounting tools. learn how to lap the rings properly

3.) torque your rings to spec and lap them

4.) mount scope and bore sight and torque to spec 

5.) shoot at 50 yards first, get a good group 2” high and then move out to 100 yards dead zero if most of your shooting is at that range 

6.) see what your MZ likes (dirty vs clean bore, swab before shot etc). That being said, I do not think it’s a bore fouling issue at 9” of rise (1-2” maybe but not a foot)

7.) after a good group, shake your gun, turn upside down, etc and shoot another group (when we’re in the field our guns are put through all kinds of stuff so mimic the real world scenario)

if you can’t get a good group doing this, then it sounds like bad scope but there’s just so many other variables that you haven’t tackled 

Pm me if further ?’s

Chris

• Like 4

2 hours ago, momay4000 said:

Lots of good advice given. I have and have mounted 100+ scopes….everything from Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, Zeiss and Swarovski…..only one scope failure and it was a cheapo Bushnell. Rarely is it a scope failure, although certainly in the realm of possibilities but usually scope failure symptoms are erratic shots all over the place, slippage if your windage/elevation knobs, rattling when shook, rapid drops (good group and all of a sudden an outlier with a 10” drop). I’d do this:

1.) shoot all your shots with a bench rest

2.) buy a good scope mounting kit and fat wrench for torquing. If you’re spending $1500 on a scope, spend a few hundred more on good mounting tools. learn how to lap the rings properly

3.) torque your rings to spec and lap them

4.) mount scope and bore sight and torque to spec 

5.) shoot at 50 yards first, get a good group 2” high and then move out to 100 yards dead zero if most of your shooting is at that range 

6.) see what your MZ likes (dirty vs clean bore, swab before shot etc). That being said, I do not think it’s a bore fouling issue at 9” of rise (1-2” maybe but not a foot)

7.) after a good group, shake your gun, turn upside down, etc and shoot another group (when we’re in the field our guns are put through all kinds of stuff so mimic the real world scenario)

if you can’t get a good group doing this, then it sounds like bad scope but there’s just so many other variables that you haven’t tackled 

Pm me if further ?’s

Chris

Yes,  agree 100%.   It could be the scope but I have only had one scope failure and it was a scope built for .22 put on an air rifle and it broke the reticles pretty quick.   like I said and u know.  a lot of time is spent lapping rings to get them to fit perfectly. I never knew how bad rings could be till I lapped a set and was like wow!  But  a tight scope and good rings make a world of difference on a gun staying accurate after some bumping around.    

• Like 1

December 29 pm
43 degrees
SW wind 5-15 mph
Partly cloudy (amazing sunset)

Back at it this afternoon after taking a day off for mental health. Once 4:00 hit the deer were on there feet. An insane number of total deer this afternoon including 8 bucks just no shooters. Only 1 mature buck ( the same big beamed and no points buck that I have now seen 14-15 times this year). I simply cannot believe how visible this old mature buck is. 4 of the bucks I believe we're 2.5 year olds so that was a great thing to see. 2 of the 8 bucks were half racks and it looked like they were dropped. Just another amazing day in the deer woods. Clock is ticking...

IMG_20221228_160225859.jpg

• Like 1