Legacy -The 2022 Season-

Legacy

January 1 pm

38 Degrees

SW wind 5-15

cloudy

No much to report. Pretty quiet sit once again and im sure this warm front is to blame. A small buck and a bunch of does/ fawns at dusk.

12 hours ago, machzrcr said:

Pulled one camera today and it had this picture on it! Never had a grey fox on camera but got a few pictures of this guy. And this picture with him and a possum is pretty cool!  

/cdn-cgi/mirage/731026579d078b87b9e01730f8121085a831daec5ad6741e8205cd38d4b0dd18/1280/https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_20230103_173552.thumb.jpg.7cbd43d6b1aad358c171cbd551a6b655.jpg

Greys are awesome. I watched one climb a tree once bow hunting. It was incredible. Almost like a squirrel. 

I just wanted to give a huge shout out to Dan "Double D" for taking the time to get my gun issues taken care of. In the past week or so he has dealt with a handful of phone calls from me. I ended up purchasing a new scope (based on his recommendation). He then took the time to mount it, bore sight it, and even took it to the range to get it close to zeroed. I can't say enough. 

I spent some time today at the range regaining confidence in my gun. Gun likes to be dirty so the more I shot the better it looked on paper. All seems good so I head to Ohio hoping to get an opportunity at redemption!

IMG_20230105_132927940_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

One of the techs at Vortex (was on the phone talking to him in regards to an issue I was having) told me never to fire a scopes gun in a Lead Sled..  he said it does not allow the “energy” to release and can break the optics..

just curious if anyone else has a view on this or an experience with an optic breaking.

I have always found mine to be a great tool for sighting in so was surprised to hear this view.

I've certainly heard that before - I use bean bags or my shooting stick rather than a lead sled. 

Rob, did you ever figure out definitively whether the issue was your scope? When Scotty's went, it wouldn't hold zero, period, and he ran out of room with the scope adjustment screws trying to get it on paper even. That doesn't sound like what happened to you.

Good luck in Ohio.

16 hours ago, Legacy said:

I just wanted to give a huge shout out to Dan "Double D" for taking the time to get my gun issues taken care of. In the past week or so he has dealt with a handful of phone calls from me. I ended up purchasing a new scope (based on his recommendation). He then took the time to mount it, bore sight it, and even took it to the range to get it close to zeroed. I can't say enough. 

I spent some time today at the range regaining confidence in my gun. Gun likes to be dirty so the more I shot the better it looked on paper. All seems good so I head to Ohio hoping to get an opportunity at redemption!

/cdn-cgi/mirage/52479a8bc59b1fc2918ec49c54b8f9c78c5612b1de58269c863e915fedbd3ddb/1440/https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_20230105_132927940_HDR.thumb.jpg.923e5f9ca625ca4d4bfa9e8d91a59e3b.jpg

Good luck in Ohio Rob

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 8:57 AM, dvdegeorge said:

The Lead sled is a rest and won't cause an issue until you start loading up with weight preventing from moving 

I agree. This is very true BUT many guys that use them keep adding weight to "tame it down" and eventually put on too much weight. That is when trouble can start. A little weight to help isn't an issue. Too much can be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkeagle10x said:

I agree. This is very true BUT many guys that use them keep adding weight to "tame it down" and eventually put on too much weight. That is when trouble can start. A little weight to help isn't an issue. Too much can be.

I shoot mine without any weight at all. 

• Like 1

Update...

January 7

Low 24 high 44

Partly sunny skies

Light south wind turning light west

Pulled an all day sit. Big ridge and saddle right in the middle of a big timber block. Heard 9 shots all day. Never saw a deer.

The only big news from camp (7 of us total) was one guy passed up a big 7 (shooter) in the pm and another guy saw a neighbor shoot and kill a 140s buck in the am next to him in the clear cut 200 yards out. 

Cold front moved in here and the weather has been seasonable. Thursday it was 70 degrees here and Saturday morning it was 24. Cold front has helped and some deer are moving in daylight according to cell cams.

Cell service sucks at camp but apparently is really good in this stand.

• Like 3

January 9 

Low 28 high 38

Cloudy skies

Light winds

Moved to a different spot on day 2 after cell cams showed some bucks daylighting. 

The spot is a small oak woods on a big Ridge line that leads to a clear cut just above a nasty, thick bottom. 

Bumped deer walking in and had deer around me all morning until about 945. Snuck out midday to warm up and came back for the afternoon. 

Saw lots of deer. No shooters though. I did have a buck that had already shed his antlers though.

IMG_20230108_100544404.jpg

• Like 1