Legacy -The 2022 Season-

Legacy

A few were seen yesterday by the guys at camp. One was 140+ seen at 300 in the afternoon but too far for a shot. Another guy had 2 shooters with a possible third all together, late afternoon, but too far for a shot also.

• Like 1

January 9

Low 29 high 42

Party sunny

Light wind

The morning sit had me in the same stand as the day before. Which was the big ridge/clear cut stand. Just a doe and 2 fawns for the am. I did see a flick of 55+ turkeys when I was walking out. That was crazy to see.

Fresh spot for the afternoon and probably my new favorite spot here. Thick bedding on the hillside just off the big woods. Young growth that extend into a big CRP field. They use a lot of bait and minerals here and the bait site here was freshened up with 200# of corn in about 25 hours. 18 does/fawns seen in the pm sit. No bucks. The camera overnight showed a couple of young bucks.

IMG_20230109_140106165.jpg

IMG_20230109_135618713.jpg

• Like 2

January 10

24 low 45 high

Light wind

Partly sunny

Well the morning sit produced only a small doe and a young buck. Spent the morning sitting where I sat yesterday afternoon.

For the afternoon I went to a new spot. A series of small bean fields along a river. That sit also didn't produce much and I only saw a doe and fawn.

Word at camp was there was a giant seen at dusk by one guy but no shot, another saw 2 that were around 125" but too small for his liking, and third hunter **** at one tonight. I'm still not sure of the outcome on that. They backed out and we're heading there in the morning.

Ohio has dupped me again.

When I was in ohio I ran 4 spypoint micros and 1 evo.   Had no issues and the batteries would easily Last 6+ months.   Would put them in in July and leave until we were done hunting in November.   Price is good so you can pick up a few of them.  My brother had trouble with 1 but the batteries leaked in that particular camera.   As a group we probably had 12 cameras out and that was really the only 1 that had an issue.   Make sure you have decent cell coverage. Those rolling hills can be killers for cell signal.

1 minute ago, Chromeslayer said:

I didnt see the need for a lcd screen.. i have a mix of x's, xb's, and the 2.0

Is there other models with built in GPS? Thats why I picked that model

Reveal tactacams have been working good. App is nice. 

would like that new one to download videos. I have to pull the card to get the videos.  

it does change things. In one stand and you get a notification on another spot. 

11 minutes ago, Smat64 said:

Sure hope they hold their monthly rates. Once they have a bunch of cameras out there they could increase the rates and everyone is locked in. 

Tha is what I like about spypoint.

100 pics/ month free /camera

250 pics/month 5.00 / camera

1000 pics/ month 7.00 / camera

And unlimited for 10.00 /camera

Can be upgraded anytime.  I just leave them all free and upgrade them individually if needed.

I've had mixed experience with Tactacam. I had a couple Reveal X that worked well on trails but their detection circuit wasn't as good as a few other brands on field edges. One of them started having issues with signal this year. It would have one bar where others have four. Barely enough to squeak by, not enough to send HD photos. So, I contacted customer support, and they were very responsive - they're located in Michigan. Long story short, after multiple trips to the field to try various "fixes" and having sent the camera in TWICE now for service, I'm finally getting a new camera. Supposedly. The check is in the mail, as they say.

I agree that XB is a great camera and I have no use for the LCD screen, but the XB is also discontinued. The Pro is identical is all ways that matter.

Spypoint are great when they work, but when they don't, forget about it. Customer service is a joke.

Finally, I'm running all of my cameras on external 10 Ah lithium batteries ($40 from Amazon - I look for cheap and have used Nermak) inside a Remington shell box ($8). The cord for Tactacam is not the same as most other manufacturers, you need a 4.0 x 1.7 mm cord. They're cheap. This setup will last at least three months in our weather taking 30-40 pictures a day, with power to spare. You also need a charger that works with lithium, but they will charge VERY fast with the right one.

So it looks like Tactacam is for me. No doubt the Reveal X Pro because of the gps and I know some dumb*ss is gonna steal one. 

My question is battery life. How is it? It looks like each camera takes 12 AA batteries... How long are they lasting?

Any one using the rechargeable battery packs?

Reconyx last a long time I have 10 cameras out since Sept and only 2 required battery changes due to the large volume of pictures they took

As far as rechargeable they won't last long I run them in my cam I have for surveillance at my warehouse if I get a month out of them only taking minimal pictures thats a lot...it doesn't matter for my use there as I have 2 sets and can change them monthly 

You should be fine as long as you are running the good as long as your running the good lithium batteries.  Mine never dropped below 50% from July through November.   Keep in mind battery life is relative to signal strength.   If your cameras struggle multiple times to transmit due to poor signal strength you will eat through batteries faster.   I have never heard anything good about rechargeable or the solar cams.