has anyone fished Vancouver Canada?

dremarquis

I have to attend a conference this May in Vancouver and there is no way I'm going to travel there and not fish!!!!

Whether you fished the Vancouver are "doing it yourself" or hired a guide, if you have any experience fishing that area, I would really appreciate any info or advice.

thanks very much,

andre

Pretty much always cold on the water out there so dress warm.  Grew up in Seattle, Dungeness Crab, ling cod, cabezon, rock cod.  King, silver and Sockeye salmon (Sockeye's caught out of lake Washington).  Halibut season in the straight of Juan de Fuca, USA season nowadays is very short, not sure about Canada.  Used to fish out of Kamloops a little ways out of Vancouver but great trout fishing.  I would also suggest a hiking to a lake in the cascade mountains, the trout from those lakes are amongst the tastiest I have ever had.  Never tried but you could prob find a local guide for a fee.  I would start with putting out crab traps for dungeness then target king and silver pretty much year round drifting cut plug herring or trolling depending on tide.   Move on to some of the best bottom fishing saltwater has to offer.  If you cant find a local guide I am sure there are plenty of charters.  Worst case toss buzz bombs from a pier. 

I have brought up snagged rocks covered in scallops, sea cucumbers, rat fish (human teeth), dog fish (small shark with stinger), tom cod, true cod, kelp greenlings, sculpin, bull head, flounder, fish I could not ID.  Had HUGE false killer whales jumping in front of my boat like dolphins do.  When I was in my teens fishing with my father we had a humpback surface right next to our boat, WORST BREATH EVER!  Depending on time of year you can happen into schools of shrimp that you snag with jig.... so much seafood to be had!

• 1 month later...

There are thousands of great places to fish in and around Vancouver, freshwater and saltwater, and boat and fly fishing. The Capilano, Chilliwack, and Fraser rivers are great places to fish. If you want fishing that involves big catches or fishing as a competition in Vancouver, the easiest way to try is to pay for a fishing tour. Prices for such events, of course, can bite. For that, you can look for discounts, such as at hoopladoopla.com. Actually, the BC Freshwater Fishing Society has a website with all the restrictions and rules.

Edited by Kellymax
  • Like 1