Pheasants 2022

thejigger

Hank and I started the pheasant season yesterday with a northern zone youth pheasant hunt put on by the CNY chapter of PF. After Hank decided to run all the way to the other end of the field on his own, he settled down and we were able to get the 3 kids with me their birds. After that, there was a kid that had shot only 1 bird and we took him out and got him anther one. I look forward to the youth hunts all year. Its great to see the kids out in the field and not on their phones. I have 2 more youth hunts for the western zone and can't wait.  We are heading to Nebraska again this November and the more birds over Hank the better. Good luck!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We had another youth pheasant hunt today. Hank put up 9 roosters and the two kids that were with me killed one. Hank caught 2 birds. I had a girl with me today. It was her first time hunting pheasants. She only shot at 2 birds and watched the others fly away. If you decide to take kids hunting, it is so much fun, just make sure they get some practice in before. Hank was unbelievable today, a pleasure to hunt over. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

My German Shorthair now retired, I am down to my rescue dog. Noodles the wonder dog did awesome. Despite the mixing of probable pit bull and rat terrier?? mixed in ( who the hell knows), she pointed and set my two birds plus serviced the other two in our group for a quick limit before the rain came. No shortage of hunters, wow!  

429B99AE-6B84-4199-83C5-1E6EF74DA38A.jpeg

041B4DEC-C621-40C6-9DA7-37C1EC905F72.jpeg

20221019_105027.thumb.jpg.27dfb81e954ccb89bcac1c0b30b8bd09.jpg20221023_082907.thumb.jpg.479ae8a0272f8536af9cbcd2dd1d83ee.jpgMy son came home from college yesterday. We decided to hunt pheasants this morning and had the best day. Hank put up 5 birds and we killed 4. That capped off a very special week. 4 years ago my brother suffered a spinal cord injury which left him partially paralyzed. He recently got a track chair and it has been a game changer. We shot pheasants together Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday last week. He shot 2 pheasants yesterday on his own. We leave for Nebraska next Thursday for 13 days of bird and mule deer hunting. So blessed. 

• Like 6

My, now fiancé, and I wrapped up our annual Fall trip to Allegany State Park. One morning of the trip is always dedicated to a pheasant hunt. She likes to follow me around and take pictures while the dog works and I try not to disappoint him, so as someone who usually hunts alone, it's great to have some cool photos. The first bird was picture perfect, the dog got birdy and hit the brakes on a nice point! Just as I caught up to him the bird flushed, and I made a great shot. The second bird actually crossed the road behind us as I was standing by the car removing ticks. We made a plan and connected on the bird! It was a great weekend, the best time of the year is finally here!

phez1.jpg

phez3.jpg

phez2.jpg

• Like 3

Hunted Wednesday thru yesterday with Hank. Wednesday was hot by the time we started. Hank put up 2 roosters off the area we had to hunt so no shots. My brother killed 2 over his dog Raider. Hank is jet black and I am deathly afraid of him over heating so we went back to the truck after about an hour of hunting. Thursday was a great day. I shot 6 green wings in the morning and 2 roosters in the afternoon. I had one tired lab at the end of the day. We killed 2 roosters Friday and drew a blank yesterday. I am working the next 4 days and leave for Nebraska early Thursday morning.

• 3 weeks later...