Clayton to the Cape..where the heck are the perch?

Columbus Day week is my annual trip up for perch fishing and I don't remember it this slow.

Generally my main stay is a drift between Peos and Dodge Bay's. Still the most productive for me but only a result in about 20 eaters in the past 5 days. Even made a run to the breakwall at the Cape, with not even a bite! Also drifted Carlton and Linda with same result. Still...I wouldn't be anywhere else this week. You folks up here are so blessed!

Any reports of late? I'm going to be taking my nephew out of Cape over the weekend and looking to get him on some perch. Was thinking of trying around the coal docks and break wall first and then venture out from there. I've heard the water is low so going near Carleton worries me and my prop a bit, but may end up going out there. 

Launched out of cape at 9 with my brother and his son and tried around the coal docks/ breakwall with no luck. Didnt even see any fish. Made a run down towards the light house to try a few other spots but the same results there too.

At about noon we headed back down river towards Carelton and fished the head for a bit. There we at least so some fish but it was just a few drums swimming around. Pulled and headed towards the foot and then just started putting around hoping for anything so the my nephew could reel something in. Finally around 1 we found a decent school of perch and started to pick away at them in about 16-17 fow. Mostly smalls but we were just thrilled to be reeling in something other than our bait (fatheads). My nephew got a handful and seemed to be having fun so that's what made the whole day worth it. Had to head back at 2 and could have kept enough to make a nice fish fry dinner but that wasn't the goal today. Main goal with to get some laughs and smiles so mission accomplished.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 months later...