Braddock Bay Channel - Water deep enough to get out to the lake?

MrKato

Such a shame. It is such a beautiful marina and so close to great fishing water.

Will it be dredged? Or is it a case of no matter how well you dredge it will slib in again in no time.

I don't want to play Russian roulette with my lower unit so I will drive on to Sandy where the parking lot is famous for car break ins.

The only rig I would feel good about going in and out of there would be a Penn Yan tunnel drive.

Problem isn’t the channel. Shallow part is actually in the lake. Dredge it all you want, north wind storms will still blow the sand in. 
Braddocks Bay is not considered to be a navigable waterway. 

• 10 months later...

I spun a prop and kicked the outdrive up in the summer of last year.  Almost rented a slip that summer, but didn't as a result.  We didn't hit bottom, but struck a submerged hazard along the right side of the channel going out. No idea what it was, but it was seriously solid.  Sounded like maybe a chunk of concrete or pipe.

I know this is an old thread.  Anymore recent feedback?  It's so much closer to home than Charlotte. (And too much riff-raff down there too)

There was no issue with the channel this year however it was a rainy summer and the lake level helped support it. I love having my boat at Braddocks, dock is a mile from my house and most years I don’t have an issue. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  I have a 28 footer sterndrive that drafts about 3 feet to the skeg.  When going out through the channel, how far from the marker do you both tend to navigate?  I wasn't close, but maybe the regulars are aware of something to avoid that I wasn't as a first time launch.  I should have pinned the exact location when it happened but the shock of the collision spooked us pretty good.

I probably have my last trip on the plotter. I know we stayed a good distance from the outbound path when returning.  (Which took a while as the prop could only get us about 2 knots max in its condition)

15 hours ago, GWP said:

Thanks.  I have a 28 footer sterndrive that drafts about 3 feet to the skeg.  When going out through the channel, how far from the marker do you both tend to navigate?  I wasn't close, but maybe the regulars are aware of something to avoid that I wasn't as a first time launch.  I should have pinned the exact location when it happened but the shock of the collision spooked us pretty good.

I probably have my last trip on the plotter. I know we stayed a good distance from the outbound path when returning.  (Which took a while as the prop could only get us about 2 knots max in its condition)

I'm not 100% sure...But, I would guess you hit the old trolley tracks.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shakemsam said:

I'm not 100% sure...But, I would guess you hit the old trolley tracks.

If so, they need far better hazard markings around it. Sounds like it's still too shallow for comfort, even without the dangerous submerged hazards.

31 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

When there are clearly placed channel markers it’s often a good idea to navigate between them lol. 

I was in the channel just right of center.

The year they put the useless break wall in there was a boulder in the channel on the east side. It damaged numerous boats. As I remember it was removed the same season. 
One of the challenges with a shallow channel is that if you come through in 2 to 3’s or more you no longer have the same three feet of depth you would when it’s calm. 
Braddocks is not a “navigable waterway”.  It definitely has its challenges. 

Edited by whaler1

It's not a breakwater it's an artificial headland beach and was never intended to aide or help the channel in anyway with plan 2014 one of consequences will be places like that getting sandbars naturally building up especially low water years

Semantics. It’s still a complete waste of money. Hundreds of boats dock in Braddocks, brings in a ton of money to the local economy which in my opinion exceeds the interests of muskrats and an already thriving pike population. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ifishy said:

It's not a breakwater it's an artificial headland beach and was never intended to aide or help the channel in anyway with plan 2014 one of consequences will be places like that getting sandbars naturally building up especially low water years

Not according to Chuck Schumer when they were starting the project.  Gotta love politicians.  Anyone that has boated on Braddocks knew he was full of sh*t.  A pier and a complete break wall along with some dredging would make Braddocks a good port.  

• Like 2

I think and and may be wrong but the funding g was from a specific wildlife rehab fund federal and was required for an approved rehab project.   I think Monroe County does a terrible job of promoting its outdoor resources and wish they did more that includes poor enforcement and prosecution that said having project like the Braddock bay one that could not creep out of scope is necessary in today's bureaucracy to get real environmental improvements done. I personally would like to see Braddock more usable for boats but a pike hatchery area is much needed on the lake to maintain what could be another world class fishery

• Like 1

I wouldn't give a **** covered wooden nickel to be in that ****hole port. After Bill Reilich and WestPoint Marina posted that the channel was dredged and safe in 4/2021, I tore my lower unit off on the East side of the channel that same week There are concrete pylons in the channel that have NOT been removed. Within a week, the posting was revised to state that only the West 2/3rd of the channel was cleaned and funded by the state not the entire channel as first stated.

Beware. Proceed at your own risk. I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

Last time I was thru the channel the water was crystal clear (light winds that day) and water depth about 2.5-3.5 ft.  So if there is/are obstruction(s) (concrete pylons) in the channel they should be visible on days like this and maybe the marina/town should be made aware of this to have them removed.  I am going to notify WestPoint Marina to see if they have any comments.

• Thanks 1