Bilge Pump Float Switch?

Pete Collin

Hello All,

I bought a 17 foot Lund that's in pretty nice shape, came with a lot of goodies.  I have taken it out a few times and like it a lot.  One question - the bilge pump doesn't turn on when I flip the switch.  That could be a safety issue should I be in a situation where I'm taking on water.  But I thought that the pump may have a float switch.  Is this a standard thing in some boats?

Lund2.JPG

Check the obvious and start with the fuse. Whether there is water or not, the switch should turn on the pump.

The float should be wired directly to the starting batter and replaces you when the boat is unattended.

Some pumps have built in floats and some do not. Use google for diagrams on proper wiring.

Good Luck

It could be wired wrong and the switch for the bilge on the dash needs to be on for the float switch to work.  I have seen all sorts of goofy things in boats over the years.  People have no clue what they are doing.  

• Thanks 1

Brian,

In this case it was me that didn't know what he was doing.  The bilge works fine.  It's just very quiet!  When I'm on the lake I can't hear it.  In the stillness of my garage I could hear it turn on.  My last boat's pump made a trumpeting sound when it ran dry.  That's what I was expecting.

• Like 1

Redundancy - my opinion is you should have one pump that can be operated in an auto mode with a float switch and at a minimum a second pump that you can switch on if needed.  The biggest thing a bilge pump buys you in the event of an emergency is time - with a big enough hole they won't keep you from sinking but should be sized to buy you time where you can either find and minimize water ingress or give you a fighting chance to stay afloat should a rescue be needed - especially important in cold water....  

My 2000 Lund Tyee 1950 had two bilge pumps when I bought it,
One automagic with a float and one off the switch.
If memory serves me correctly, the switched one would also work off the float.

In any event,
They are both set up to work off the floats and switch now.