Planer board question

Looking for your thoughts on this...I may be way off base but is it possible to set up inline planer boards to run like the larger mast boards? I'm thinking of a small mast and tow line to the front inline release( replaced with permanent clip instead of release clip) and then release clips off the back to attach the rod line. I would only run one line per side and this would allow the rod line to release from the board. I have run inlines the way they are intended to be used and just haven't found a set up I like as I fish alone a lot and unclipping the board when landing a fish as well as fighting the board to the boat just doesn't do it for me. I have also rigged for the board to slide back to the swivel and really don't like that method either. My current boards are offshore OR12's.

Edited by SusanJames

Better yet....could I run the rod line off the tow line like the big boards? Then I could reset without bringing the board in. I could build a set of big boards but my boat is a 14' tiller so very little space and im also thinking the big boards would make it difficult to steer. 

i ran big boards off of my 14 footer and if both are in steering was fine.  I have also tried what your suggesting with the in-lines. It was workable but better to run them as in-lines or go big boards.  For my little boat i built a rocket launcher frame but actually had it forward of the counsel  and i would hang the big boards over the frame when not in use it helped the storage problem quite a bit.  

I travel a lot huges is the closest lake o launch but I can go from sandy to Oswego in just over an hour so I chase conditions and reports I also can hit multiple finger lakes. With the little boat I fished Seneca a lot and Cayuga some I have since gotten a new boat but went to an 18 footer because I like having options and I like the multi species set up but if I ended up back in a 14 footer I would set up the same rocket launcher type set up the boat wa closed bow so I even had it so I could tie fish and food coolers on the bow

You could run a big board like a TX 44 or the big offshore off a butt section of a rod with 60 lb braid . but with a small boat run the in lines 12s for browns or up to 5 color cores and TX 44s or the big offshores up to a 500 copper. Stick a Sam's pro release on the big boards so the release, and be done with it. I run inlines all summer never have a issue.