Iowa “22” late muzzloader

Day 1 mid day report, SE wind at 10 mph, flurries and 33 degrees, pulling all day sit in box blind in small valley west of farm house that has a large cedar patch,20 ish doe and one spike and a bruiser at 300 yards gave us a quick drive by .. and 6 long beards .. hopefully big boy shows himself before dark again.

38C434A1-8540-4C98-9696-4AB08EC37BD5.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow we now know what it’s like to hunt with Rob or in Iowa.. after a slow morning with the wind in our face we only saw 4 doe so at 12:30 Made a plan to hunt another blind north of a large cedar depression, we didn’t even get to blind and had two small bucks and a few doe underneath the blind so after kneeling for about 20 minutes they made their way off and we got in .. man at 3 o’clock deer just started pouring out of the cedars 30-40 small bucks does fawns incredible they all made their way 50 and less yards from us then I noticed 3 shooter bucks all together standing 96 yards out no clean shot all you could see was horns then a leg they eventually made their way into a adjoining field that we overlooked. No shots given,, then at 4 a big 9 I have on camera came out of cedars and never presented a good shot at 86 yards was heartbreaking to watch him just walk away ,,, 4 definitely shooters and one I’m unsure.. lol what a day .. going back to same blind hoping to catch the heard again in the morning..

• Like 4

Day 3 ,6 degrees light snow and SE breeze at 10-15 ,multiple doe at first light two small bucks sparing and one possible good one I only had in the scope for a few seconds.. we may hunker down in hotel tomorrow and Friday calling for -5-15 for highs and wind chills of -45-55 with blizzard like winds ..then hunt sat and Sunday. What better way to celebrate Christmas ,in the woods of Iowa ? I can’t think of any better.. I dare anybody reading this thread to argue that point.. 

6B314975-32EE-4679-A443-0C2918DB3D31.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the late update , yesterday was another day of lots of deer groups of doe would move through then another hr or so and another group would move through small bucks bumping doe around, late in the afternoon Mallory noticed a group of doe had bedded down 100 yards from us on the edge of a cedar patch to our south at 3 they all got up and started moving 20 plus .. then at 4:30 we saw 3 bucks fighting all three were involved in the match nothing big all 2 year olds but great to watch , at ten minutes to dark after Mallory couldn’t get a good shot the opportunity presented itself to me , not what I came to Iowa to do but knowing that we only could have one day left to hunt I made a decision to fill a tag so I don’t have to drive back to Iowa to hunt alone . Hopefully this deer isn’t frozen solid , we skinned him and gots go debone him to bring him home .. hopefully the kid will out do me to bring a great end to a incredible journey so far. 

B95457AB-0994-47AD-8DC7-8DA2E61B7990.png

• Like 7