Bryce Marine Headaches

Chicong

I have owned boats for almost 40 years. Built engines and raced hydroplanes.  I’ve built stock cars from the ground up.  I bought a boat from them three years ago new for almost $40K and it has had constant electrical problems.  OK. I get it.  Sometimes you buy a lemon.  But they don’t honor warranties.  They’ve lied to me.   And they have treated me like I was an enemy. I’m reasonable.  I’m patient.  But I just can’t deal with them anymore.  Is it just me or has anyone else experienced the same?  Man. This is awful.  I wish I never bought a boat there.  

Edited by Chicong

In my younger days (30 years ago) I worked at several small marinas, & west marine when they first opened, so I ended up with numerous interactions with them. I can’t say any were great, most were bad, refusing or giving me crap about paying to launch a boat to demo, etc. I bought a used boat from them years back, it was a x act Lu what I was looking for, but like you said they definitely didn’t go above & beyond for the sale didn’t clean/wax boat, barely fixed the small issues I found. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Chicong said:

I have owned boats for almost 40 years. Built engines and raced hydroplanes.  I’ve built stock cars from the ground up.  I bought a boat from them three years ago new for almost $40K and it has had constant electrical problems.  OK. I get it.  Sometimes you buy a lemon.  But they don’t honor warranties.  They’ve lied to me.   And they have treated me like I was an enemy. I’m reasonable.  I’m patient.  But I just can’t deal with them anymore.  Is it just me or has anyone else experienced the same?  Man. This is awful.  I wish I never bought a boat there.  

What’s the nature of the issue?

Went there a couple years ago for a simple oil filter, the parts man told me he'd be right back. I think he went to lunch because I never saw him again! finally I walked up to a salesman's desk, he had been just sitting there looking at his computer totally ignoring me.  He says, They are right there on the self! Well I know but there is no way for me to look them up or even anyone to cash me out! I was there what seemed like an hour. I walked out and never went back! I did write a message to the Owner, he said the help left because of Covid and can't find anyone to work..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, whaler1 said:

The warranty on a new boat comes from the boat manufacturer as well as the manufacturer of the motor. Ie Tracker/Mercury. Have you contacted them directly?

Understood.  The new boat had three Interstate batteries.  Two for the trolling motor and one that runs the main engine and electronics. 

The boat has gone through 3 main engine batteries in three years.  Each one has stranded me, the last one in a very, very dangerous situation on the Niagara River at the Devil's Hole.  We could have been killed.  Same old story launch, pray, then drift, or get towed home.  Voltmeter always 12+ at failure.  2019 Merc 150 4 stroke.  

I'm diligent about keeping the two trolling motor and main engine battery charged at all times.  After the first stranding, I always verified 13+ volts with voltmeter to terminals, not console gauge before launch.  Never had a problem with the two original trolling motor batteries.  Rock solid.  Bryce guy says "you had three bad main engine batteries in succession".  No CCA they say.  C'mon.  You kidding?  

All three are supposed to be covered on warranty and they say no.  See below.  Now they want to charge me $280 for the third.  Jesus.  I had more reliable 1968 outboards.  Contacted manufacturer, White Marine, they say, sorry, talk to Bryce. 

At the end of the day what bothers me most is not the quality of the new boat, nor the battery failures, but the rotten attitude by the Bryce staff and lack of total business acumen.  Is new management in place?  Dave the salesman was great.  Complete professional.  The rest of the staff seems angry.  I handed them $40K cash.  Now we're arguing over $280?   

Are there any smart businessmen/woman left? I saved my money for my whole life working overtime, nights, weekends in a rotten, physical job.  Digging ditches, working with my hands.  I'm no rich guy.  I worked for my money.  I would have spent $200K+ more business with them over the years.  I want Jet-ski's for my grand-kids.  Maybe a pontoon boat for my wife.  Golden years.  But after month's of arguing back-and-forth over peanuts when I handed them $40K?   Do you want to do business with folks like this?  You reap what your sow.  Sorry.  Unbelievable.    

• 5-YEAR BOW-TO-STERN WARRANTY

We'll cover parts and labor for defects in materials and workmanship on electrical components, livewells and plumbing, stereo, gauges, switches, console(s), windshield, steering wheel, fishing seats, carpet, vinyl, fuel system and gelcoat. And that's just a partial list.

Edited by Chicong

3 bad batteries? Doubtful. Have you checked your charging system?  The voltmeter ( digital , not the boat instrument ) should read 13.5-14.5 volts while engine is running   The battery at rest ( after losing surface charge ) should be at least 12.6 volts.  You may have a dead short somewhere , drawing the battery down. Just a thought, I had a new Lowrance sonar that had a different shutdown procedure from my previous unit. I thought it was off , when in fact it was not. Next time at the launch. Dead batt.  I now carry a jump pack in my vehicle at all times   Hope you get to the bottom of this matter.  Your life could depend on it.   Another thought. Do you have a battery switch ?  I installed one after my sonar screwup. Turn all electrics off and isolate battery after each trip. 

Edited by chinook35
  • Thanks 1

When I first changed to a mercruiser I went to Bryce for service parts like filters,seals and impellers. I was treated as if I was some sort of nuisance. They are not the only game in town. There is for instance
West Marine where Rob, the manager, will always try to help you with parts and a friendly word.

• Thanks 1

The battery switch is a must if you don’t have one. Found out the hard way after installing a new radio. Ate my batteries up and didn’t know it. An ohm meter will tell you if something is running when boat is stored or if something is going on when charging etc  Other suggestion is to take it to a reasonable marina let them find the issue. Document everything then take Bryce to court to get your money back you had to pay to repair and legal fees. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chinook35 said:

3 bad batteries? Doubtful. Have you checked your charging system?  The voltmeter ( digital , not the boat instrument ) should read 13.5-14.5 volts while engine is running   The battery at rest ( after losing surface charge ) should be at least 12.6 volts.  You may have a dead short somewhere , drawing the battery down. Just a thought, I had a new Lowrance sonar that had a different shutdown procedure from my previous unit. I thought it was off , when in fact it was not. Next time at the launch. Dead batt.  I now carry a jump pack in my vehicle at all times   Hope you get to the bottom of this matter.  Your life could depend on it.   Another thought. Do you have a battery switch ?  I installed one after my sonar screwup. Turn all electrics off and isolate battery after each trip. 

I totally agree.  I am going to do this.  But should I really have to? $40K.  And again. I get it.  Sometimes things don't work.  OK.  But don't treat the guy who paid you $40K like a jerk.  Especially when the failures are on warranty.  Maybe they are going out of business and are hanging on by a thread.  Who knows.   I can't figure it out.  Cheating honest hard-working people.  Shameful. 

Edited by Chicong
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, I went to school with one of those Bryce's.... dude was a real piece of work in high-school, wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him which I actually did once during intramurals after school lol... know other ppl who've dealt with them over the years and can't say much good about Bryce Marine.. I'd move on from them while you still can it's not worth the frustration 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Legacy said:

FYI Bryce changed ownership in the past couple of years and Im hearing a lot of new staff also

Are they going out of business?  How can you cheat people like this?

Edited by Chicong

One thing to be aware of:  some modern electronics such as fish finders, radios, temp sensor, GPS, etc have memories that if they are wired directly to your battery, those items are still drawing some current when you turn the engine off.  Even when they are turned off.  They will drain your battery when boat is not in use, hence must have isolation switches.  

On 12/2/2022 at 9:15 PM, Chicong said:

The new boat had three Interstate batteries.  Two for the trolling motor and one that runs the main engine and electronics. 

I just re-read your post & have to ask:  Are you running all your electronics while you're trolling with trolling motor?  If you're trolling for a few hours without running the big engine, you're running the main engine battery down.  

Bryce has always sucked.  50 years they have been in business.  Ill can sympathize with you.  I just took my brand new 2022 tracker to them for engine issues.  They put in there pond and ran it and said that they could not duplicate the problem ( engine vibration).  I go to pick it up and ask to see the computer printout.  There isn't any because they didn't do one and tell me that if I want one it's going to cost me 100 bucks.  Mind you this boat has 2hours on it.  Also, they tore my brand new mooring cover by trying to take it off with ponded water on it.  I ask...What are you going to do about the cover.  Answer, "Nothing.  Read the small print on the invoice".  There are new owners but they are no better than the old.  Its the same old crap with them.  I ended up taking the boat to Smithboys in Buffalo for the engine work.  They repaired it.  I have also taken the boat to Cabelas in Buffalo. for warranty related issues.  Both places are a dream to deal with.  I will say that Tracker Marine will not discuss warranty related issues with the owner.  It has to go through a dealership and Cabelas in Buffalo is the place to go.  The service manager was candid and said that he gets a ton of Trackers in for service that were purchased at Bryce because of the hassle Bryce gives their customers.  Good luck with the boat.

2 years ago, I called Mercury and spoke with the District  Rep for NY State concerning Bryce. Without going into all the details, the conversation ended with me telling him that Merc should be embarrassed to have such a Piss Poor POS Dealer representing their products. Switched to Johnson the next year, and all my needs go to Pugsley's in Ontario. Can't say enough good things about Bob!

So many stories like this over the years. I guess the owners aren't aware of the reputation they've garnered, or simply don't care because there's always another shill out there. It's easy to dismiss one or two incidents, since most folks are quick to voice complaints but not compliments. But when you hear the same thing over and over...

So, I guess what I'm asking is: has anyone on LOU ever had a good interaction with Bryce? Without going into details, all I can say is that I will never deal with them again.

When I was 16 years old, I went into Bryce to purchase my first boat.  I wanted a little 14' smokercraft to fish the ponds, Braddocks and Ibay.  I walked in with cash in hand.  The person that was working the sales counter laughed when I said I wanted to buy the one SmokerCraft out in the lot.  His mood totally changed when I slapped a wad of cash down on the desk.  I didnt buy a thing from them after the way I was treated.  

Not meaning to bad mouth them, but bought a new 9.9 from them this year.  Wouldn't accept mastercard for it as said: "we have to pay them a fee & would lose too much money on it."  Yet accepted a personal check without even checking with bank or asking for ID.  

Maybe off topic but I really wish Evinrude was back in outboard business! 

I know a lot of you guys live more in the Rochester area but if you have a Merc take a look at Bow and Stern Marine in North Tonawanda  on River rd.  Paul,Tim and Chris are some of the best people in the world and will go way out of there way to help you. Chris is one of if not the best Merc tec around. they get very busy in spring all the way through summer so book ahead for service if you can.  Paul is a very good walleye fisherman and can answer a lot of questions on boat rigging for trolling. If your not happy with your dealer check them out, i have bought many boats and motors from them and use them for service. they are top shelf in every way.

On 12/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, Shakemsam said:

2 years ago, I called Mercury and spoke with the District  Rep for NY State concerning Bryce. Without going into all the details, the conversation ended with me telling him that Merc should be embarrassed to have such a Piss Poor POS Dealer representing their products. Switched to Johnson the next year, and all my needs go to Pugsley's in Ontario. Can't say enough good things about Bob!

To be clear, this contact just a couple years ago, was with the new ownership. It was obvious they were oblivious how to run the business and was dependent on the "Bryce" name and it's customer base. They were in way above their head!

That being said, prior to that when Craig Bryce and his boys ran the place, it was better.  Not much...but better. I think that Bryce, having been in business for so long, just like Rochester Marine, became so full of themselves, sales was all that mattered. They pretty much had a lock on the Rochester area, as everyone else had closed. There were numerous boat dealers in this area at one time, besides these two. Rochester Outboard, Robot Marine, Voyager Marine, Raz Outboard, Spencerport Outboard, JaySea Marine, Sutter's Marina, Mayer's Marina, Bethany RV, Ballentyne Rv, and some car dealers as well were selling boats. Weller Motors which became Marina Dodge, sold Bayliner. Pelican Marine sold boats before they became just a restaurant, and Doyle Chevy was in the mix for a while with Sunrunner Boats out of Canada. A lot of the above were in business at the same time and competition was healthy. 

• Like 1