Smart Troll ll

mudflat

Anyone have any experience with the newer version Smart Troll ll?

I’m familiar with the original version and am wondering how much improvement the newer version is .

Also wondering if anyone knows what Fish Hawk has coming???

Thanks 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 11:08 AM, mudflat said:

Anyone have any experience with the newer version Smart Troll ll?

I’m familiar with the original version and am wondering how much improvement the newer version is .

Also wondering if anyone knows what Fish Hawk has coming???

Thanks 

I've had the system since the first version. The owner and I have had a lot of conversations about it's reliability in the past. This year I had the new system, and from April-September it ran flawless. That being said it's still not a totally "user friendly" system, and here's why. The probes can't be left on the charger. Once they are charged they have to be pulled off. I used to put them on charge when I was done with them and leave them on the charger all week long. This actually ended up draining them. What I do now is put them on charge when I get to the boat Friday night. Once they read charged I take them off the charger. The data you get from this system in very valuable and once you have it you wont want to fish without it.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick, have you used the paddle wheel for speed?

Do you have any info about Fish Hawk that you would be willing to share?  

I have the original Smart Troll and I agree with you 100%.  When it worked the info was very valuable but the reliability of the system wasn't very good.  One by one my probes quit working, probably related to the batteries.  When my last probe died this year I really missed the info, especially on my divers.  I am thinking about upgrading to the new version but haven't found many reviews on it out there.  I'm still concerned about the reliability and the batteries holding up.  I am surprised Darrell doesn't offer a "smart charger" or replaceable batteries.

1 hour ago, mudflat said:

I have the original Smart Troll and I agree with you 100%.  When it worked the info was very valuable but the reliability of the system wasn't very good.  One by one my probes quit working, probably related to the batteries.  When my last probe died this year I really missed the info, especially on my divers.  I am thinking about upgrading to the new version but haven't found many reviews on it out there.  I'm still concerned about the reliability and the batteries holding up.  I am surprised Darrell doesn't offer a "smart charger" or replaceable batteries.

I have not used the paddle wheel on the Smart Troll

What questions do you have about Fish Hawk? We've run the Fish Hawk X4D for a few years now.

8 hours ago, mudflat said:

Gen 1 guy here.  9 times out of 10 I had problems.  When it worked it was great but I can't play IT guy for 20 minutes and ignore my whole spread.  I can't go Gen II and spend that money as a result.    I'll add its been a couple of years since I got it to actually work.  Interesting about the probe battery thing.  The app was always problematic.  I had to delete and reload it multiple times the first year to get it to work.  Every time trying was a new adventure.  last year I tried again....late morning when the bite was done and I was all by myself.  I fought and fought and it never worked.  Crap....I really want the data but after wasting nearly $700 at the time how could I justify a second "experiment".    By comparison.  I'd sell my boat before Id give up my Fishawk X4D.

Edited by Fat Trout

This will sound like I'm belly aching because I am. Like the rest of you I'm a Gen I owner and also had nothing but problems right out of the box. Darrell was great to work with in trying to work the bugs out. Multiple phone calls and component replacements to keep me up and runnin'. I bought the Starter kit that had the speed/temp/depth probe and one depth/temp probe. The system never worked good enough for me to consider buying anymore probes :-(. He had to replace the receiver, charger and the speed/depth/temp probe at one time or another. I was down to the one depth/temp probe by early spring this past season and contacted Darrell again to see if he had any Gen I probes available. He said that he wanted to get all the Gen I units out of the market ( I can now see why) and that I could buy a Gen II system for 35% off (that would be about $600.00 for the starter set). Nice offer but no thanks. I don't have another $ 600.00 and hours and hours of jerking around :shake:to throw  at the Smart Troll until a more reliable Gen III comes out.

PS:  ditto, same as Fat Trout

Edited by stinger

• 4 weeks later...

This is Darrell at Smart Troll.

We have made great improvements with Smart Troll II

For 2023 I am offering anyone with Smart Troll Gen I a 50% trade in discount to upgrade to Smart Troll II.

If you want to talk about it call or send me an email.

Sales at the name of my company dot com (didn't type it out to hinder bots)

Please let me know if you have questions.

• 4 months later...

I ended up getting the Smartroll II.  I ran it this weekend  with great sucess.  Its an entirely different experience than with the first version.  It just works right away without issue so far.  The transducer is mounted right near my other transducers.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:37 AM, Yankee Troller said:

I've had the system since the first version. The owner and I have had a lot of conversations about it's reliability in the past. This year I had the new system, and from April-September it ran flawless. That being said it's still not a totally "user friendly" system, and here's why. The probes can't be left on the charger. Once they are charged they have to be pulled off. I used to put them on charge when I was done with them and leave them on the charger all week long. This actually ended up draining them. What I do now is put them on charge when I get to the boat Friday night. Once they read charged I take them off the charger. The data you get from this system in very valuable and once you have it you wont want to fish without it.

Rick - I upgraded to the new Smart Troll last year. I've also had it since it came out. Darryl has been great to work with. The probes use a standard charger. I bought mine on Amazon. I leave my probes in the charger all the time, including all winter. I have had no problems. 

I purchased and installed the smart troll 2 last spring and ran it all year without any issues. The install was extremely simple and only took a few hours to complete, the hardest part was wiring in an on/off switch. I ended up biying a smart charger for the probes so they wouldn't over charge. The information it gives you will definitely help put more fish in the box!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BRsnow said:

Sounds like there might be something new from fishhawk? If you can only get one, is the new version of i troll the way to go? Fish hawk? Or wait for new announcement from fishhawk?

That's an updated X4D system. Parts shortages have held that up.