Question for spoon painters

I recently came across a hand made spoon my father made over 50 yrs ago. Solid copper blank and a design painted with womens nail polish. I have buffed out and shined up the copper and repainted the design with nail polish. Now I want to clear coat it to maintain the shine and keep it for tarnishing. Keep in mind I have to go to a hardware store and buy a spray can. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Thanks.

Like HB2 said Lacquer.  I buy Rustoleum Triple Thick Lacquer for the custom Spin n glo colors I paint for Gambler Rigs.  It’s available at Lowe’s, Home Depot Amazon and other hardware stores.  Spray a light coat first and let it completely dry.  Then you can apply a second thick coat.  

Edited by GAMBLER

18 hours ago, HB2 said:

Lacquer 

Light coats 

12 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Like HB2 said Lacquer.  I buy Rustoleum Triple Thick Lacquer for the custom Spin n glo colors I paint for Gambler Rigs.  It’s available at Lowe’s, Home Depot Amazon and other hardware stores.  Spray a light coat first and let it completely dry.  Then you can apply a second thick coat.  

Thanks guys.:yes:

59 minutes ago, HB2 said:

Also any scuffed up or rash stick baits , spoons or flashers ,etc can be brought back to life with a couple quick coats . 

Maybe some super fine steel wool to clean them up first . Then spray . 

Spoon has been cleaned, polished, painted with nail polish, run and it slammed my local trout. it is exactly how I want it and I do not want to scuff up the existing finish.

6 minutes ago, HB2 said:

I am was just saying, since you are buying a spray can of lacquer , you could use it to refresh other lures you already have to kill time during the doldrums of winter . 

ok. all set thanks.

• 3 weeks later...