Online source for Black Horn 209 powder needed

chowder

I just got a .45 cal CVA paramount but cannot find Blackhorn 209 powder. I don't believe there is any in NY. So far all I can find is the 8 oz bottles at Muzzleloaders.Com for $79.!!!! I Ordered 1 so I can get sighted in but at $5.64/ shot in powder alone that's pretty damm steep. Anybody find some somewhere reasonable? PM is fine. Thanks

Is my math off? 8 oz is 3500 grains, at 110 grains per shot that's $2.48 a shot...which is not insignificant, but not too bad either. I bought two of the 8 oz bottles many years ago for my Accura V2, and I'm still on the first bottle. Of course, I only shoot a couple rounds to make sure the scope is sighted in and then a round or two in the field (if I'm lucky).  So at my current burn rate I figure I'm good for 15 years, give or take

But in direct response to your question, nope, I can't find anywhere more reasonable. Canadian, you know? COVID, the border, supply chain issues, staffing, all that stuff that folks talk about when $hit goes awry. Heck, these days my wife is using those arguments rather than just saying she has a headache :).

Both of us are wrong! First of all it's 437.5 grains/oz x 8 oz ( I got mixed up because I wanted the 5lb can but it is unavailable so I mistakenly used 5 oz instead of 8). Now divide that by 150 grains/ shot (NOT 110) = 23 shots and now divide $114/ 8 oz can ( with mandatory hazmat shipping)  by 23 shots = $4.95/ shot ( powder only). SO damm near $5./shot. NOTE: The CVA paramount is more like a custom precision rifle than anything else on the market. It is designed for long range shooting which is good for me because I am a skilled long range shooter living in Niagara County which is a shotgun WMU. I'll keep looking. it's very frustrating that each middleman seems to divine their own understanding of the very uniform regulations regarding shipping powder to non NY City NYS zip codes. One will and another will not, 

lol! You are not wrong about the stupid shortages and cost overruns. I've been waiting for almost a year for my lab renovation to be finished. We are currently working all of us out of basically a closet. There must be a single 97 year old half-blind, drunk who builds epoxy benchtops somewhere in northern Saskatchewan, and nowhere else to source them. Otherwise, I don't get the delay.

So, what's your load formulation that uses 150 grains of BH? If I tried to load that, I think my gun would explode. Does the Paramount accept higher loads? I know many black power formulations use 150 grains, but in terms of energy that equates more to the 110-120 grain range for BH209.

Not trying to be a know-it-all...just don't want to see damage to a new gun...but what do I know? Blackhorn publishes load data on their site. Interesting looking at it just now, I see that the 110 grains I use is calculated in a volumetric measure, which equates to only 77 grains actual weight on a scale. I'm glad I use volume to measure it out!!! Big. Bada. Bang.

Edited by Gator

I thought i paid a lot years ago at $30 per 10oz bottle . Finally found some this year at $70 per 8oz. plus hazzard shipping and was happy to be able to find some. 

I’m at 84grn weight per round. 

11 hours ago, Gator said:

lol! You are not wrong about the stupid shortages and cost overruns. I've been waiting for almost a year for my lab renovation to be finished. We are currently working all of us out of basically a closet. There must be a single 97 year old half-blind, drunk who builds epoxy benchtops somewhere in northern Saskatchewan, and nowhere else to source them. Otherwise, I don't get the delay.

So, what's your load formulation that uses 150 grains of BH? If I tried to load that, I think my gun would explode. Does the Paramount accept higher loads? I know many black power formulations use 150 grains, but in terms of energy that equates more to the 110-120 grain range for BH209.

Not trying to be a know-it-all...just don't want to see damage to a new gun...but what do I know? Blackhorn publishes load data on their site. Interesting looking at it just now, I see that the 110 grains I use is calculated in a volumetric measure, which equates to only 77 grains actual weight on a scale. I'm glad I use volume to measure it out!!! Big. Bada. Bang.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/cva-paramount/

Runnings in Brockport gets it in once and a while.  Hodgdons website has been the Most reliable place to find it.  Muzzle-loaders.com and Midway USA has it from time to time also.  

Edited by GAMBLER

40 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Ughhh

I just ordered it from Hodgdon.com. 2 8oz containers with shipping and tax was 221.64

Tim and I ordered 2 containers in August and is was 142 with tax and shipping.  Glad I ordered it then!

On 12/15/2022 at 11:06 AM, GAMBLER said:

Tim and I ordered 2 containers in August and is was 142 with tax and shipping.  Glad I ordered it then!

as inflation gets worse from gas being so high because Branden closing the pipelines so prices would rise so electric autos would sell better has made prices on everything we buy. Cabela's has it for 79.00 plus a 22.00 shipping cost for powder. if you buy 2 8 oz containers the total with shipping would only be 180.00 plus tax. which for me it's 7%.

On 12/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, sherman brown said:

as inflation gets worse from gas being so high because Branden closing the pipelines so prices would rise so electric autos would sell better has made prices on everything we buy. Cabela's has it for 79.00 plus a 22.00 shipping cost for powder. if you buy 2 8 oz containers the total with shipping would only be 180.00 plus tax. which for me it's 7%.

Spare me the simplistic micro economics lesson ( I have a degree in Economics from UMass) and the political conspiracy theories. As far as the powder goes; Cabela's was out of stock when I checked. Only place I could get it was Muzzleloaders.com in Oregon - $79 for the powder , $35 for Hazemat ground from there. Hoping to do better but several companies that do have it say they can't ship it to me even though legally they can. Some of these middlemen are up to some strange BS.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chowder said:

Spare me the simplistic micro economics lesson ( I have a degree in Economics from UMass) and the political conspiracy theories. As far as the powder goes; Cabela's was out of stock when I checked. Only place I could get it was Muzzleloaders.com in Oregon - $79 for the powder , $35 for Hazemat ground from there. Hoping to do better but several companies that do have it say they can't ship it to me even though legally they can. Some of these middlemen are up to some strange BS.

the price was the same at cabalas. it was 79.00 also but it was 23.00 for shipping if they had, had it. but all is good now that you have found it. have a merry Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, signalman said:

I,am glad i bought a savage i don,t have to deal with all of this.

I don’t know what Savage you bought but if it’s not a black powder muzzleloader it’s not legal to hunt with in muzzleloader WMUs like Niagara county.