New Member...Need advice on tackle

Speedy

Just joined the group. Picked up a nice 19 ft Sea Nymph set up with 4 down riggers (2 manual 2 electric), 7 " and 5 " Lowrance Hook, Fish Hawk X4, I Pilot.

So I think my boat is equipped ok to start but have have zero gear. I was a stream fisherman all my life, so light weight spinning gear only.

May I ask some of you for your expert advise as what to start with. What rods/reels/line,releases, etc. would you buy if you were just starting out trolling for salmon the first time? I appreciate your advice. I don't want to waste time/seasons and money.

Thanks,

Speedy

Check out the classifieds. Some very good deals on used Okuma reels and rods. Good spoon selection. Very honest people to deal with. Just make sure you’re dealing with the seller and not an impersonator POS. Spool up with 30lb mono and you can leader down with fluorocarbon. Get some Scotty releases for the riggers. Fish USA.com is a great tackle site for everything also. Good luck 

• Like 1

To get started you really just need 4 rods. I recently just got into trolling in the last year and a half.

For downrigger rods I run 8’6” okuma white diamond downrigger rods with the Okuma Ma-30dxt. 25lb trilene big game and a 10’ section of 20lb 100% trilene fluorocarbon.

For dipsey rods I run 10’ okuma white diamond dipsey rods with the Okuma Magda Pro Line Counter 30DX Reel. It will hold 1000ft of the 19 strand of torpedo wire. I run the size 5 black chinook divers on the 4 setting. They have much less drag when fighting fish. I run 25lb 100% fluorocarbon from my diver to my paddle.

One big thing is swivels. Go quality on the swivels. I really like the dream weaver ball bearing swivels.

As for releases, most people use the blacks or the Scotty releases. Both work just fine.

meat rigs- I always have luck on the white crushed pearl glow 10” spin doctors with a stud fly meat rig and white head. This has been my top producer when fishing meat. I have tried others, but this one always gets bit.

flasher flys- 8” white crushed pearl spin doctor and a mirage fly always gets bit. Just do alot of flasher and fly matching. Keep colors similar. 
Fly colors I like: green crinkle, stud, mirage, sweet pea, 42nd, green hammer.

Spoons the options are endless. Definite wants:

Carbon 14 at first light is a must. Still does well on cloudy days during the day as well. 
nbk

Uv mixed veggie stinger

gator

oranges to run up high on cheaters for steelhead and cohos 

Rod father

sea sick waddler

Glow frog

martel

game over.

Honestly there are tons of spoons that work. Whatever you run the most is what you will catch fish on.

Any other questions, feel free to reach out. Good luck out there 

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. Just bought the house and the Sea Nymph in Newport,Vermont in November. Boat fits in the garage perfect. I'm "Snow-Birding" between Vermont/NY and Tucson,Arizona. Sending AZ "Cold" winter days (50-60 degrees) reading up on Owner's Manuals and selecting and buying my gear for Spring. I'll ship my goodies to myself just before I return. Thanks for all your advice. Wishing all you a Happy and Healthy Christmas...and Tight Lines.

"Speedy"