The % of Jacks this year

Earl28

My observations say they were up. Jacks are 1.5 yr old males that sexually mature, return to tribs, spawn and die just like 2.5s, 3.5s and the rare 4.5s.  They appeared to be in exceptional condition with some making it to 10 lbs. 

Biologists from the Salmon world have said that a higher number of jacks means the year class is well represented. Jacks play an important role in wild populations as they are able to reach upstream gravel during low water years while having an easier time avoiding predators. 

Merry Christmas! 

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni
  • Thanks 1

Great information. I don't know about sexually mature, but we sure caught them in the lake...had to leave certain areas because they covered the water column, top to bottom, and we didn't want to kill fifty young ones to catch one adult. I kept one to eat - mistake - I think they spend significant amounts of time in warmer water. Neither cajun nor smoked was palatable IMHO.

• Thanks 1

Interesting information from Captain Vince. 

I fish in the Sodus Point area, mostly July/August, targeting Kings.

I have tracked my catch rates etc closely since 2015. This past season my catch rate per hour was very normal, the only thing that was noticeably different was the number of small fish, under 20”. I had my best year ever for big fish, but over half my fish were little ones. I did not catch anywhere near the normal number of 12 to 18 pounders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They were a high percentage of my stream catch  .Way more than any other year since I have had my cottage .  I saw a good amount caught  be other anglers also.  Some who I believe mistook them for Coho. 

Edited by HB2
  • Thanks 1

East end out of Mexico was pretty much all jacks 7 - 10 lbs. for my fishing partner and I. Only fished 1/2 dozen times and kept very few. 1 mature at 18 lbs was the biggest we boated.

• Thanks 1