Predator 22/23

I believe in WNY, lack of turkey has far more to do with human reduction of habitat and nest predators.

racoons are #1 in my book in critters to kill. And accordingly I have trapped close to 20 on 40 acres in the last year. 

On 3/4/2023 at 1:57 PM, idn713 said:

I believe in WNY, lack of turkey has far more to do with human reduction of habitat and nest predators.

racoons are #1 in my book in critters to kill. And accordingly I have trapped close to 20 on 40 acres in the last year. 

The biggest impact on low turkey numbers is wet and cold weather during the first ten days after hatching.  Then the polts can fly and get off the wet ground to roost. Nest predation does have an impact also.  The biggest predator on eggs happens to be crows.  i saw a program last night on the outdoor chn and they cooked crow on the grill. They put olive oil pepper and salt and said it was good and that they would do it again

Couldn’t help but think of this thread last weekend while watching an episode of “North Woods Law”. One of the story lines on the show involved the rescue of a bunch of red fox kits that were taken to a rehabilitation facility where they would be raised and eventually released into the wild. 

Text book irony. 

Missed one last night 🤦🏼‍♂️. Came in three minutes into the set to the first sound I played. Very  disappointing. 

However, I had a new visitor on my bait this morning at a different location 

01249730-F955-4B70-890D-EC2525AA5AF5.jpeg

Edited by fisherman21
  • Like 4