Fish out of the fort Sat. Sun. Wed. Kings 15-19 lbs. Flies working the best. Weigh one in over 20 lbs on wed. Green fly.

Morning start off great after weighing the fish in headed back out. After trolling west to east in 150 fow had a big boat cut right in front of me. they were heading south then turn to head east. I ended right up behind them. With Two boats to my right . Call them on the radio said I'll slow down u speed up ( no response) I veer to the left to get out from behind at least 500 ft between us. With thier side planners off there boat must have caught one of there lines and all crying broke loose but if your going to call someone names maybe you should look at the guy driving your boat. I be happy to compare gps trails with them. With the derby its nice to run a nice spead but when it is combat trolling u think people would keep it a little closer to the means in which one can handle. maybe with a bigger boat one can not see as good? Or if one is a professnial What would his clients think about all the yelling. maybe some people just have a HIGH VOLTAGE and enjoy being a jerk ..............

good luck and tight lines

Joel

Been there done that. I did not get a spring Derby ticket because money seems to make A-holes out of normal people. I will wait until the LOC and Scotty is done.....and I will have the place to myself until the fall derby.

you know one of the first things you learn when playing golf is "etiquette" I wish some of the fishermen out there would do the same... I feel for you Joel.

Best of Luck to you !

Tcon

Been there done that. I did not get a spring Derby ticket because money seems to make A-holes out of normal people. I will wait until the LOC and Scotty is done.....and I will have the place to myself until the fall derby.

No you won't DOC, I'll be there, and if I'm not out there Farley in the P%^*# Pro will be out there :rofl::rock::muscle:

The answer is easy -- Move away from the pack. If you are in the pack you should avoid cutting of another boat's fish, but copper and long dipsy's are fair game. As one old time charter captain once told me in 1982 as he swiped by me and cut off my port dipsy -- "That's fishing!!!". Oh and those were the days when there was a pack boats so close you could talk to the guy going by you if he wasn't talking to the guy on the other side of him. We learned to keep our presentations short and our fish under control.

CC

Screw that,you can have combat fishing.Did it years ago out of Oswego,and got sick of it pretty quick.We all have a tendency to think guys who fish are all nice people,but the truth is,that jerks like to fish too.

If That was the only way to fish,I'd take up another hobby.I'm a pretty serious fisherman,but honestly ,could care less about derby fishing.We enter the fall LOC,only because we're there for the first week of it.

I refuse to fish in a pack,I'll always fish away from the pack.We've had lots of banner days,especially offshore,with fish after fish,and not another boat in sight.

If I wanted aggravation like that,I'd stay at work.

Adam, my boat is in Youngstown as we speak......waiting for the crazies to leave. I will let you troll by me without any water ballon reprisals :P .

The answer is easy -- Move away from the pack. If you are in the pack you should avoid cutting of another boat's fish, but copper and long dipsy's are fair game. As one old time charter captain once told me in 1982 as he swiped by me and cut off my port dipsy -- "That's fishing!!!". Oh and those were the days when there was a pack boats so close you could talk to the guy going by you if he wasn't talking to the guy on the other side of him. We learned to keep our presentations short and our fish under control.

CC

Amen. I grew up fishing the mouth of the Genny every tourney in packs of 200+ boats jockeying for the mud line. You were 20 yards port and starboard and the guy trailing was not expected to be more than 150 yds back. If a rod tripped on the boat in front of you, you turned 45 to get off his rear.

Guys today are running spreads so distant and wide...I saw a guy one day off of Olcott who had planers out 100' on each side and was running lines 600' off the back. That is a 'foot print' of roughly 120,000 sq feet or almost 3 acres. I find that to be rude...and if he gets cut off.... If he was the only guy out there, then have at it. But in heavy traffic, either shorten that stuff up, move away from the pack and take your chances, or shut your hole and realize that the guy who lost gear crossing you with flat lines out 250' spread 60' wide is more po'd than you are.

I went through the same thing fishon this past fall. No bad luck yet this year, but taking the boat down to the Tourney Memorial Day weekend on Seneca Lake I am sure to have more stories! Best advice if they suck it in the prop, free the drag, let that clicker sing and give them ALL the line they want in that prop:)

Well, What people dont think they own the lake?? not just the 2 miles that all 250 boats are trying to fish on but they want the entire lake.Everyone is out for themselves period. i try to avoid pack fishing at all costs. I hate the crowd. and cant run some of my most productive patterns..But again what to do is stay off the packs. possably lose your fishing for a day?? Most would think not. but one thing is for sure it doesnt matter were you are or what your catching the minute people start to see the net fly they chase you down and so does the pack with them. its hard to stay away from the crowds especially when they got 1000 ft of f----in copper off the back. and then they actually have to ask themselves why they got cut off... Combat fishing will only get better as the year goes on so get ready or until it is figured out by all that no one owns property on water that doesnt have land attatched to it. or you just cant run long lines when you have that many boats in one small spot on the lake.. God forbid you should get 400 ft of space while trying to fish on a hot spot like the can, 6 mile and so on....

Good Luck

Maverick

fish sat. out of fort ....5 kings 4 coho just miss the board with a 20.14 king green fly with a green spin doctor was are best setup dispey and downrigger. the 20.06 got knock off to,not bad two over 20lbs

It nice to see other people having the same problems. I thought everyone just like my fishfinder...it was a wire line i caught they really run them that far back? etiquette would be nice on the water but once the net flies it over.

It only takes a couple of guys to ruin it...Next will be hamburg beach 11 at night 10 ft of water and some guy will yell out "hey watch out for my sideplanners" or the guy in the kayak with the flashlight. i'm going to up my line # and see if i can get some new gear this year! I be looking for a old army hemlet to wear for the fall derby untill then good luck fishing.........Joel

That must of been a close one. I heard it was a 400' copper line that you ran into. I was not on the boat but I do know that it's not an easy task to turn a 42' boat on a dime, with 4 long copper rigs out. :handshake:

It happens to all of us. Put a lot of time on the water and it will happen again.

What size boat were you fishing out of?

Mark

Mark

I was in a 21 foot boat. I heard it was a 400' copper line that you ran into I think it came to me! With a little commucation on the radio we could of got by. my boat has alot on it but no telepot device. i didnt come from no where. I have Fished out of bigger boats and know its had to get them around. Fish walleyes up by henderson some times ,we put a spread out and just stay straight. it was more of getting cut off , then the guy yelling at me. When two of my downriggers were tangle and came close to the prop being in the mess with the cables. been fishing a while, have a USCG Capt. lic. I spend a lot of time on the water i just believe when u got room fish how u like ........but on a busy day at the bar were 100ft can be 100fow or 200 fow you got to fish with respect to everyone else who got up at 4am and paid a lanch fee, loc derby, fishing lic, boat reg, a box of hostess, gas ....no matter what size boat your in.... tell your buddy i got his white flasher

(tried it , no fish) he's more then welcome to have it back.

Joel

Ealier this year I was perch fishing at I Bay off a point about 30 yards or so with another boat. Doesnt some jerk come full boar between us and shore. He must of been going 30 mph, I could of hit him with my cast. The spot was ruined at that point and I had to move. Yes boaters and fisherman should have to take a course on water manners 101. Also last week at the Black river bay I was casting and this old dude trolled so close to me, I had to stop casting twice or I would of hit him. I dont know what people are thinking sometimes.

You all should try Lake Erie for walleye's. everyone tries to fish the same 100-200 yard stretch. It's fine till you run into that one guy that thinks it better to troll N/S instead of E/W. I have joked that I was going to get one of those dummy 50 cal. machine guns and mount it in my board mast when not in use so everyone would stay away from me lol. It's amazing, during the week no one has any problems, but the weekends are a different story.

BP,

A similar thing happened to me pike fishing in Sodus years ago. I was drifting along casting spinners towards Eagle Island, good spot for pike when conditions are good. Well... I look and the boat that was fishing north of me decides to move south in my direction, not even fishing, just motoring. I'm actually pretty close to shore, casting distance to the weedline, and he decides to motor between me and where I'm fishing. No other boats around, he had the whole bay to the outside of me. I was just out of the Navy, and had a lot of piss and vinegar running through my veins :devil: , so besides a WTF look I gave hime, I casted my spinner right at his boat. That irritated him, but it got his attention, and I told him to think about what he was doing. It didn't go any further, but I deffinately felt violated. Especially since I was getting a couple pike and some bass too.

As far as salmon fishing, I'll avoid the pack, but if I'm catching fish I'll fish a pack too. Most times there is not any problems with anybody, everybody respects each other. There 1 or 2 boats out there that just think they own lake no matter what. Those are the boats I avoid, and give lots of room.