basic mercruiser lower unit question

Bear with me -

I am not super mechanically inclined, and thanks ahead.

I have a 1977 120 horse I/O. at the end of each season (3 so far) I have noticed some water in the lower unit, and it apears to be some JB weld on the sides of the bottom of the unit. I noticed that there is a circular unthreaded cap (under the mercruiser sticker) that popped off my last trip out( noticed it loose before i went out but popped it in) . This cap is below the overfill plug therefore when water goes in I assumed it would go right into the lower unit resevior, but a friend said it is a different resivior. I think it was red fluid when i noticed it was loose (ATF or power steering fluid to raise and lower the prop I think.)

I took out the drain plug and the gear oil is already watery grey after one time out (and this mysterious plug missing).

Do any of you have any insight? should i drain the unit and refil with gear oil after i get a new cap? or put some more JB weld on after I drain the unit? how much oil and of what kind should I put in -from the bottom I know this much I have a pump. anyone know any mercuiser experts I could call?

Any insight is aprecieated.

Thanks,

Reed

Dear Buck Club,

What you have described is the worst situation for a discontinued Mercruiser I drive. I would immediately start looking for a used"I" drive. Craigs list usually turns up a few. Do not buy any cracked or damaged cases. Let us know where your located and I am sure we can recommend a qualified repair guy. Hank @ L & M at Port Bay is very qualified. But be prepared, these outdrives are expensive to repair. And please note that you have an "I" drive, NOT AN ALPHA ONE!

Good luck on your quest,

Jet Boat Bill

i'm not sure what drive you have but i do have an mercusier 1 ( mr1) drive for sale i got the boat as a project but never put it in the water , it shifts great and no noise, it was in salt water but you would never know . i also have an alpha 1 for sale it also was a salt water boat but like the last looks in great condtion. both are tight with no slack the apha has a remanufactured prop

i'm open to offers ( the boat i have now has a volvo drive so neither will work mr1 was on a 305 gm the alpha wa on a 260 merc v-8

ted

607 265 3803

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...