Out with 2022, 12/30 & In with 2023, 1/8 on Cayuga

Finished up fishing for 2022 on my birthday, the 30th, which was a first as work and weather typically don't cooperate for weekday fishing in late December.   Launched at Dean's and surprised to nearly get stuck churning mud on the way out.  Had checked lake levels ahead and had launched at Dean's in a foot or more lower water level so must be significant sediment buildup in the Cove.  

South wind made it snotty so buzzed down to Thirsty Owl and trolled North in 70-140 FOW.  Steady pick of Lakers, the largest at 22" and a large group from 16 to 20".  Flies on the Dipsey preferred over rigger spoons by at least a 3 to 1 margin.  

Fast forward to this morning and launching at Taughannock.  Beautiful calm overcast conditions so pulled out the big board and loaded it up for shallow trolling.  Meandered South on the East side since the boat that launched just before went down the West side.  Lake trout dominated the catch but a couple Browns spiced things up a bit.  All but 1 took spoons, nothing on a fly and 1 on a Bay Rat.  There is a nice mud line at the South end and today the 3 color core with a copper spoon stole the show while cruising through there. 

Great to have decent conditions for fishing this time of year!!

IMG_20221230_093027962_HDR.jpg

18653~2.jpeg

IMG_20230108_102839313_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

Nice job Greg!

Glad to see you out there, seen you go by, I waved but I don’t think you saw us, I was using the Lund today.

We have been out 6 times flatlining since mid December, finding mixed results.
Most of the lakers we have been hitting were in the top 3-5’ of the water column mostly on sticks behind the big boards. 
So we changed things up and decided to cast yesterday, we made the right choice. Bite was hot. 

AC6E04E4-DFAD-479C-B555-949FF12B06E0.jpeg

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Nice job Greg!

Glad to see you out there, seen you go by, I waved but I don’t think you saw us, I was using the Lund today.

We have been out 6 times flatlining since mid December, finding mixed results.
Most of the lakers we have been hitting were in the top 3-5’ of the water column mostly on sticks behind the big boards. 
So we changed things up and decided to cast yesterday, we made the right choice. Bite was hot. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/704d12e0ef39f567180f3246f785e0b18c6a8ae3e9c181a45e25bf79909be0ae/1280/https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/uploads/monthly_2023_01/AC6E04E4-DFAD-479C-B555-949FF12B06E0.thumb.jpeg.3a71b5ee8505503dd0aead761dfa0016.jpeg

If that was you coming out of Meyers early on then sorry I didn't notice you wave.  The 1 stickbait bite of the day had me trying to avoid line tangles and not get grounded in the shallows!!  A great morning to be out there!  I'm sure we'll cross paths again

19 hours ago, Trouthunter said:

Was anyone doing anything with the salmon if so on what may I ask Thank you

Only two in the last 6 trips. Both dinks under 15”. One on a streamer and other on a spoon. 

quite a few ‘bows boated tho….

• Like 1