Help for out of towner

I'm from Ohio and I'm coming to Seneca Lake for vacation starting 5/10. Are there any tips you guys can give me for going after some Lake trout? Jigging for walleyes is about done here. Are you still jigging or are you on to the troll? I troll on Erie for walleye with Dipsies......same for Lakers? or do most of you guys use downriggers? What size spoons? Favorable colors? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

John,

Your dipsies will work great. Pick up a few different shades of green spindoctor flashers and some green flies and keep checking the reports for the depths that are working. Seneca marine in watkins glen can hook you up with what you need.

Alot of people do jig for lakers...I really cant comment on it though. I tend to get pretty bored after a few minutes.

Wife's cousin jigs for Lakers almost exclusively. Uses the biggest Buckshot rattle spoon he can get, silver in color. Drops it to the bottom, jigs it up a few feet and around for awhile, drifitng as he goes.

Thanks for the help guys. Do those spin doctors affect the diving depth of dipsies? Also, the chart for Dipsies only goes up to 70'. Are the Lakers deeper than that this time of year? If so, How do you get down to them? I have never run into that problem because Lake Erie is so shallow.

If you are running a wire rod with a dipsy, attaching dipsy to swivel, then around 8' of 30lb leader from dipsy to spin dr and fly 22"-24" behind attractor a good rule of thumb is roughly 3:1 ratio of line out to depth (even on a 2.5 - 3 setting). For instance, if you are marking fish at 50' down, 150' out is roughly 50' down. I have marked fish 113' down in Canandaigua Lake, lowered the wire dipsy to 339' on a 3 setting and hooked up. YMMV but if you are running mono, you will not achieve the depth and it would prove difficult to "pop" the dipsy. If you only have mono dipsy rods you could probably get away with fishing depths 25'-50', I am no expert but you should be fine at these depths from the latest report from the area. The water is still cold and fish are riding high in areas.