Revitalization of a wonderful "oldtime" lure

Sk8man

Elmer Hinckley spoons have been around for over a hundred years. They originated in Naples New York at the south end of Canandaigua Lake and were used along with Sutton's historically right until the present. A fellow by the name of Pete D'Urso from downstate New York fairly recently acquired the company and has "revitalized" these classic spoons and they have been successfully used in various places from local lakes, reserviors and the Great Lakes. His website is something to behold regardless of whether spoons are purchased or not. https://elmerhinckley.com/

Luckily, I have a few of the older versions that are now collectors pieces. These new versions from the old dies look great. Pete is one our own LOU guys by the way.

Edited by Sk8man

Gill-T yes the flutters are similar to Sutton's in weight. He gives all the dimensions and thicknesses on the website. My grandfather used to use them along with Suttons's and the old Geneva and GT spoons on Seneca around 1910 or so.

Mike you probably bought some when they first came out in the 1800's and Mike C must have driven you there in a horse and buggy:lol:

• Like 2

You have done a great job of bringing those spoons back Pete and I know a lot of Finger Lakes folks will be happy once they start using them.  Unlike a lot of today's spoons these were designed right on the Finger Lakes and that plating can make a big difference as they can be seen for greater distances under water.

From my research  I think Miller started in 1920 or so,.  Another great spoon without a doubt, with common sizes as other manufactures.   What I'm finding with Hinckley's is the cup is deeper than Sutton, Miller or Pine Valley giving it a little more action.  When they moved out of the finger lakes, and NY they were forgotten about, but never really fell out of production.  

Darryl - I knew Bernie wasn't the designer of the spoons but I didn't know the previous history. thanks for the link....very interesting. I used to talk with Bernie during the old Seneca Lake Derby when he was chartering and he actually won it one year.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:15 PM, pdpiper said:

Les, Thanks for the shout out.  I've spent the past couple years trying to aquire the dies, and bring these back.  I must say the plating is top notch, and we offer silver, 24k gold, and copper.

Pete

When the daughter start selling the famous Surton I bought quite a lot but unfortunately the plating didn't last; after a few times in the water they become kind of black and when I contact them regarding this problem they told me that they are aware of the problem and they say it's because there is a product that they were not able to use because it was unauthorized by the EPA. 

On 1/16/2023 at 5:56 PM, Sk8man said:

Darryl - I knew Bernie wasn't the designer of the spoons but I didn't know the previous history. thanks for the link....very interesting. I used to talk with Bernie during the old Seneca Lake Derby when he was chartering and he actually won it one year.

He was one of a kind. Met him the first year Lake Ontario's fish returned, but actually in Michigan and we bonded real well and became close friends until he passed. Quite the fisherman..No one could say he didn't get excited though lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Stan mine are going to get a real good workout as soon as I can get the boat out of storage and especially during the derby.

He nickel plates the before the gold or silver plating so these are really sturdy spoons with a great finish. The black nickel ones save me from painting spoons black too:lol:

https://elmerhinckley.com

Edited by Sk8man