Smelt advisory

Gill-T

Oldest I see in our records is Age-7.  Not many in that age (0.06%) and length on the age-7 ranged from 6 to 8 inches. Largest I see that we interpreted an age is almost 9 inches and that one was interpreted as age-4.  You might have seen in my talks how Alewife growth (size at age) changes when fish hook and spiny water flea populations are really abundant.  Interestingly those changes didn't seem to change RS growth.

16 hours ago, schreckstoff said:

Oldest I see in our records is Age-7.  Not many in that age (0.06%) and length on the age-7 ranged from 6 to 8 inches. Largest I see that we interpreted an age is almost 9 inches and that one was interpreted as age-4.  You might have seen in my talks how Alewife growth (size at age) changes when fish hook and spiny water flea populations are really abundant.  Interestingly those changes didn't seem to change RS growth.

Thanx.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Sobering as hell!  This work has been done by individuals who are a specialized breed of trained scientists (hey guys- this is a real thing not some kind of BS. You wouldn't expect the run of the mill automechanic to be a carb expert but that's the equivalent of what these environmental toxin experts are). I'm not sure exactly how I will respond to this research but it won't be by spitting out a knee jerk reaction essentially relagating the information to the ' Everything is fine, don't worry' department. The sooner anglers and hunters become outspoken advocates for our ecosystem the greater the odds it will be here for our children's children and their children.