What is the name of this lure and which fish does it catch

maisie

There are different versions of the Johnson Silver Minnow and I also think the one on the right is one. Hard to tell from the orientation in the pic about the one on the left as it is on its side. They are BOTH however for jerking copper wire in their application. The position of the fixed hook indicates that as it is positioned downward so that the top actually drags along the bottom while the hook points upward when trolled (slowly) and both lures are used this way to aid in catching fish but also to avoid snagging bottom. Those types of spoons have been used for years on many of the Finger Lakes including Seneca mainly for Lake Trout fishing.

Edited by Sk8man

That makes sense. My dad fished Seneca lake a lot. I also have his victrola jerk bait box. And a giant roll of steel wire not copper. I know there was a roll of copper out there somewhere. I need to look some more. I want to re-home it all.there has to be like 20 or more lures all like that I found. SeeThanks so much for your help.

Edited by maisie

You are very welcome. If I can help with any of the other legacy stuff just send me a personal message on here and I'll try to help out. There is a chance I may have run into your dad over the years on Seneca. :smile:

yes, I believe the one on the right is a Johnson silver minnow. i still use these for bass fishing ponds sometimes. they work great as you choose the speed of retrieve from slow to fast or it can be stopped and let flutter down then retrieved again. but i think they would also catch pike and even a musky under the right conditions.

3 hours ago, maisie said:

Thanks< i hope there are people looking to buy them March in Charlotte i have quite a few all sizes

I think I have enough to last me the rest of my life, I will be 72 in May. I only use two of the smaller sizes for bass. it just depends on how many bass fishermen see you have them for sale and want to try them if they don't already know they will catch bass. and your price and spoon condition will play a role in selling some of them. you can just do a web search for them and see what they sell for new.

The spoons pictured and in question are TROUT spoons for jerking copper. There are other various sized Silver Minnows used for bass and other species.

• Like 1

Ken Dunbar

The one on the right is called a phflueger 4 used to fish off copper. My Dad and Uncle used these back in the fifties and taught me how to use these which I did until they  came out with much better lures in later years. This was the predominant trout lure back in the day.

11 hours ago, Frogger said:

This is a Pfluegar, harness in center to lock hook in. Came in a couple different sizes. This is a 5.    The lure on the right is as some pointed out a Johnson Silver E2B64608-FA26-4EF1-A76F-981B2FD7B0CE.thumb.jpeg.3f4ce310264aaf857455d30f1ee4ef12.jpeg minnow. Eyelet gives it away. 

the silver minnow is what i have and the hook is brazed to the inside of the spoon and doesn't come out the back like this one pictured. and mine have the weedless prong that will keep it from hanging up in the weeds where the bass live. i don't use mine a lot as I'm a worm guy. a purple worn is the bait of choice for pond fishing for bass.

8 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Frogger is 100 percent correct (as usual)/cdn-cgi/mirage/bbcd918c8e31f6efe742bb34bcef891048e7c454d38358c3022eca2cbc8be8d7/1280/https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/uploads/emoticons/default_emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

If I was only that good on picking football spreads……….uggg

On 1/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, Sk8man said:

There are different versions of the Johnson Silver Minnow and I also think the one on the right is one. Hard to tell from the orientation in the pic about the one on the left as it is on its side. They are BOTH however for jerking copper wire in their application. The position of the fixed hook indicates that as it is positioned downward so that the top actually drags along the bottom while the hook points upward when trolled (slowly) and both lures are used this way to aid in catching fish but also to avoid snagging bottom. Those types of spoons have been used for years on many of the Finger Lakes including Seneca mainly for Lake Trout fishing.

Dude ... is there any end to your fishing knowledge? That is incredible.

32 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/71035c5d62486caa270c55c54e8a62d85ed4a295f69d8dc5020811210ec24f74/1280/https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/uploads/emoticons/default_emoticon-0136-giggle.gif It comes magically with old age

You guys.

4 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

Dude ... is there any end to your fishing knowledge? That is incredible.

• 2 weeks later...