Bow Mounted Trolling Motor Problem

Sea Lion

Hi Gang,

I have a 19' Aluminum Sea Nymph boat.  We, (my son and I) have a Minn Kota trolling motor mounted on the Bow.  The issue I have is the motor was mounted like 10 years ago.  I rarely ever used it but my son is a HUGE bass fisherman and it's now being used all the time.  The issue we have is the bow mount needs more reinforcement so it doesn't flex when steering/using the motor.  My bow is nothing but a sheet of aluminum.  It just needs to be reinforced and was looking for any suggestions on who is competent doing this.

Regards,

Bob

Hey Bob, I’ve got the same boat, a ‘93

When I put mine in there was a sheet of plywood underneath when accessing the front storage compartment. I purchased a cheap 1x thick cutting board and customized it for the motor plate to bolt through. Also gives the motor base some height over the aluminum bow cap that’s on the boat. Doesn’t flex at all. Pretty solid.  Hope that helps. 35CDD1E4-3ADA-4A9A-B3AF-312807E35240.thumb.jpeg.91943a3b7f1bff00f1171197cdabeadb.jpeg

• Like 1

I also have a sea nymph with a trolling motor in the bow and I just used a piece of 1/2 plywood and wrapped it in marine vinyl on the top of the aluminum, and then added a backer plate under the bow aluminum where the quick release mounts bolt through. 

5BFDBBA6-DA48-4C6C-B999-841983893D6D.png

• Like 1

I would try and find a metal shop that sells aluminum sheets. just get the size you need to fill the area where it's mounted in 1/4" or 3/8" and bolt all the way through the aluminum. I did this yrs. ago with a sheet of 1/2" when I had a weak transom and it worked great for yrs. I also had a weak spot in my floor and used a 3/16" piece of aluminum to cover it with extra metal to go well beyond the weak spot and just screwed it down to the floor. but with an aluminum backing plate it will hold almost forever.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frogger said:

Hey Bob, I’ve got the same boat, a ‘93

When I put mine in there was a sheet of plywood underneath when accessing the front storage compartment. I purchased a cheap 1x thick cutting board and customized it for the motor plate to bolt through. Also gives the motor base some height over the aluminum bow cap that’s on the boat. Doesn’t flex at all. Pretty solid.  Hope that helps. /cdn-cgi/mirage/8b5804d4fbb71dfb5d4962d786b57e86fcf60e4ef749f6087c62fac1a240f791/1280/https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/uploads/monthly_2023_01/35CDD1E4-3ADA-4A9A-B3AF-312807E35240.thumb.jpeg.91943a3b7f1bff00f1171197cdabeadb.jpeg

Did the exact same thing on my 90.

There should be the original ply under the bow.