Thoughts on this study?

Dan M

A couple of years ago I ran into a DEC crew at  a state launch on the St Lawrence. They were cleaning and catagorizing fish that had been retrieved from early summer netting. They had bass, Northern’s, walleye, panfish, bullheads. The study being conducted was a toxicity study, and the techs were quite knowledgeable and willing to talk.

There were really no surprises in previous samples. When I told him about my concerns as I consume more freshwater fish than most people, he looked at me, asked my age (65 at the time) and replied “you can eat anything you want”!

Wise ass!

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2023 at 6:38 AM, Gator said:

I source my PFAs straight from the lab, so I know exactly how much to use to get that perfect flavor.

Seriously, though, and not to hijack this thread, but over the past decade I have become severely alcohol intolerant. I have a hangover before getting a buzz!! I'd think that it's a me thing, except that there's at least several of us on this board alone that now have the same issue. It happened as we got older. Knowing how some of these chemicals manufactured in labs can interact with our genome in unexpected ways makes me wonder how prevalent this sort of age-onset allergy is these days, and whether it's linked to environmental toxins. There's begun to be some interest at the national level in this sort of general phenomenon. We know the incidence of childhood food allergies are rising, and it's not crazy to extrapolate to older adults.

Anybody else here experience unexplained allergies with age?  Of the eight or so folks I know with alcohol intolerance, all are men. Obviously, I'm not claiming cause-and-effect with fish borne toxins, but it's enough to make me raise one eyebrow and throw this out there for discussion.

I think you have something here !!!  I have grown allergic to politicians as I age 

• Like 1