Disposing of expired boat flares

MrKato

Thought someone might know of how and where to dispose of expired boat flares.

I have a box at home with a dozen or more and was wondering if any of you LOU members know how and where to properly dispose of them.

Any information would be appreciated.

Mr Kato

This question has come up before. Sometimes the local volunteer fire department will take them to use for training purposes. I usually save them for the fourth of July, but you also can just ignite them in a place where they will not case alarm. Do not throw them in a campfire.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:39 PM, rolmops said:

Do not throw them in a campfire.

Why not?  They make decent fire starters.

Another option is using it as a flame source next to a pound or two of tannerite and water bottle of gasoline :).  Right after it rains of course.....for obvious reasons

12 hours ago, orangediablo said:

Why not?  They make decent fire starters.

Another option is using it as a flame source next to a pound or two of tannerite and water bottle of gasoline :).  Right after it rains of course.....for obvious reasons

What boy scout troop were you in? A burning cigarette with unlit matches at the end and some straw to camouflage and ignite it will do the exact same thing and allow you to get far away before the party starts. You see, the boy scout troop that I was in is called IDF

Edited by rolmops

as for the hand flares I have just opened them up and exposed them to the elements. until it rains and washes the powder away then I just put them in the trash. the areal flares I just shoot them into the air at home. but I always kept a few old ones in the boat just in case I needed extra flares. but now I have the distress light that replaces the flairs. but I still have a few of my old ones. plus, I have several of the 12 GA flares and gun and some old metal military flares still in the boat.

Hello Spacecb,

Thanks for the reply.

Have you actually taken expired flares to Ecopark on Avion Drive?

Reason I ask is that I was taking some TVs and computer monitors there last week and went to their website and sent them a question asking them if they took expired flares.  The response was:  call the local police/sheriff’s substation to see if you can turn them in there. 

So I did not ask when I was there but maybe should have.

Thanks again for the reply.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:59 PM, orangediablo said:

We've done a bit of experimentation.  Don't get me wrong, some of it was a bit sketchy.   But so far,  still have all fingers and toes and no negative consequences.

The do work great for fire starters unless they are daytime only flares.  I found a very old set in the boat I bought last year.  There was one that was a "day time only" flare.  My neighborhood was an orange cloud for about 30 mins.  The non existent wind made it linger for way longer than I wanted it to.  

Yes MrKato I have taken them there. I take all my recycling there and I had these old flare so I took them with me. After I dropped off my recycling I asked a guy at the hazardous waste section if they take old flares he said yes and took them. They give to sheriffs department for destruction. Your supposed to make an appt. for hazardous waste I didn't and they took them. Worked for me.