Costa Rica

rolmops

I just came back from Costa Rica where I visited my daughter and did some fishing. It was incredible. I went out for 2 deep sea trips and two near shore trips. The catch included rooster fish and mackarel tuna near shore while off shore the first day produced 5 mahi mahi (none less than 20 pounds), 2 sail fish of roughly 200 pounds each and 2 20 pounder tuna. The second off shore trip was plain incredible. I caught about 25 mahi mahi ,again, all very large ones. Every time I brought another one close to the boat, there were a few swimming alongside with their incredible colors clearly showing. The captain said that we averaged one mahi mahi every five minutes. Then we went tuna searching again and we found them alright . They were just in front of a huge school of dolphin. I brought in two. One a 20 pounder,and one a 40 pounder, the third one I fought for 40 minutes and had to hand the rod off to the mate because my arms were just too tired. He brought it in and it topped out at 55 pounds. This was easily my most successful fishing trip ever. Once my son comes over to help me transfer pictures i will post a bunch of them.

Edited 25 minutes ago by rolmops

0.jpg

PHOTO-2023-01-24-20-31-37(1).jpg

0.jpg

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 3

I was staying  in Santa Teresa which is a popular surfing spot , but it is hard to reach ( Cesna flight and unpaved roads) The place where I fished from is called Mal Pais. Probably the only charter that is on the net over there is "Jason tours" When you see his website it seems like a big operation, but it is a one man operation. He is a very good and pleasant person who speaks good English.

As for Santa Teresa , it is a dusty little town where the beach crowd of young ladies, who seem to compete in how scantily dressed they can get, are very well represented..

If you want to go there you should count on renting a 4 wheel drive vehicle. US dollars are accepted in every place.

Edited by rolmops

On 2/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, rolmops said:

I just came back from Costa Rica where I visited my daughter and did some fishing. It was incredible. I went out for 2 deep sea trips and two near shore trips. The catch included rooster fish and mackarel tuna near shore while off shore the first day produced 5 mahi mahi (none less than 20 pounds), 2 sail fish of roughly 200 pounds each and 2 20 pounder tuna. The second off shore trip was plain incredible. I caught about 25 mahi mahi ,again, all very large ones. Every time I brought another one close to the boat, there were a few swimming alongside with their incredible colors clearly showing. The captain said that we averaged one mahi mahi every five minutes. Then we went tuna searching again and we found them alright . They were just in front of a huge school of dolphin. I brought in two. One a 20 pounder,and one a 40 pounder, the third one I fought for 40 minutes and had to hand the rod off to the mate because my arms were just too tired. He brought it in and it topped out at 55 pounds. This was easily my most successful fishing trip ever. Once my son comes over to help me transfer pictures i will post a bunch of them.

Edited 25 minutes ago by rolmops

My dream!