15"+ Perch Gallery

Someone I previously respected in the NY fishery for being one of the "best" perch anglers once said that 15" perch are extremely rare and that he had seen very few true 15"ers from NY. So, after learning the fishery the last couple years, I thought I would start a gallery for the 15"+ jumbos to hit the deck this year and we'll see just how amazing our fishery is here in NY. Here's the first one for 2023!

IMG_20230206_115558.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spacecb said:

I've been a serious perch angler for 50 yrs in IMHO you should release those big female perch. Take a photo and release.

I do for most, however these two were needed for a landscape fish scene that I am having put together. The first picture with my daughter's PB perch from last year was released. For the tourney, it's angler's choice, but the fish can be released. It also depends on the depth from which they are caught - fizzing them sometimes works but not always...

2 minutes ago, Spacecb said:

Sounds good I agree. I fished Seneca march and April for years and had a blast down there. Fished out or Roy's. Some years any where I fish caught nice perch. The perch fishing has gone down hill last 6 or 7 years. 

Yeah, it takes a lot of patience and persistence, that's for sure!! Makes you appreciate the good days all the more!!

20 hours ago, Spacecb said:

I've been a serious perch angler for 50 yrs in IMHO you should release those big female perch. Take a photo and release.

I fully agree the larger ones in that range are primarily females and they are the breeders. Usually when you fillet them much of their internal area is devoted to fish egg capacity so it may not have as much usable flesh as smaller perch anyway. I don't keep anything 13 inches and above unless it is dying. Perch are a vulnerable species because of their schooling behavior despite their prolific breeding.  We need to conserve breeders and real small perch as well. I have seen people keep some that would look good in a fish bowl or aquarium and you'd probably need a microscope to see them on the dinner table.:lol:

• 1 month later...