Sandy Creek Marina

jlogger

Are we talking about Sandy near Kent and Hilton or the one on the east end?

I would be interested, But before that, I would like to know what the chances are of having my gear stolen there. I heard some horror stories.

In short, how is the security setup over there?

Edited by rolmops

10 hours ago, rolmops said:

Are we talking about Sandy near Kent and Hilton or the one on the east end?

I would be interested, But before that, I would like to know what the chances are of having my gear stolen there. I heard some horror stories.

In short, how is the security setup over there?

Sandy Creek in Hamlin.  He has been doing work since last spring.  I had my boat in that marina from 2006-2012.  Crime was never an issue there.  

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Been closed for a while. Curious as to how deep the channel out to the creek is and whether or not the trees on the north side of the channel have been cut back?

That was always the problem. I assumed it was just was so over grown, that you couldn't get through any more.

Should be no problem getting in and out as far as depth is concerned . 

Probably needs an afternoons work with a pole saw to clear out the overhanging limbs which really aren't to bad . 

He has done a fair amount of work over there on and off the last few months . 

The bigger area has been cleared of all the old falling down docks . He has a barge in there to work off of . 

Still a lot of work to be done but it's a good start . 

I drove by there today and the place being surrounded by houses that people  and probably also dogs live in makes it a hard target for thieving. I think I will give him a call and ask him to get some info on the board.

I ran the numbers as best I could and I figured Bruce was breaking even or it was costing him money to run the place when he had it . 

I don't know how many of you run your own businesses , but the cost of doing business has skyrocketed the last few years . 

• Like 1

True. I fully appreciate the increased cost of doing business...NIH modular grants were capped at $250,000 a year in 1998, and haven't budged since then (if you can believe that load of crap)...try operating on a 1998 budget. Numbers are numbers are numbers. And after that initial building, Bruce never put anything back into the place, so I figured he was operating on the edge. I'd like to see the business succeed. I will keep fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

As a neighbor bordering the marina for the last 22 year, I have heard of very little theft. I knew most of the boat owners docked in the marina and communicated with them often so I am sure I would have heard about it. I am sure Vince will install adequate security around the marina.

I visited with Vince and Scott last week at the marina and they showed me the metal dock supports they are building. They will be sturdy and of different sizes to accommodate various size boats.  

Vince mentioned he checked the channel depth and said it was 3 1/2 to 4 feet deep.

Looking forward to seeing the marina up and running again.