Planning a spring trip looking for suggestions.

Sarge5150

He everyone I am looking at making a trip to the big lake for Browns this spring.  I am looking at last week of April first week of May in the Pulaski area.  Given the current conditions out there now does that seem reasonable?  Not looking for crystal ball predictions just trying to harness the hive mind.  I am also looking for suggestions for lodging.  Not looking for anything fancy just 2 beds and the ability to cook some food.  

I appreciate any advice!  Thanks!

Edited by Sarge5150

I fish early spring out of Mexico or Port Ontario.  Browns are generally available as soon as launches have open water and brown fishing can be very good. With warm winter temperatures this year I think early March is certainly a possibility. Stinger spoons, Storm Thunderstick Jr, and small Rapalas work for me. Generally I targeting 5-25 fow off in line boards. Look for warmest water that has some color.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarge5150 said:

He everyone I am looking at making a trip to the big lake for Browns this spring.  I am looking at last week of April first week of May in the Pulaski area.  Given the current conditions out there now does that seem reasonable?  Not looking for crystal ball predictions just trying to harness the hive mind.  I am also looking for suggestions for lodging.  Not looking for anything fancy just 2 beds and the ability to cook some food.  

I appreciate any advice!  Thanks!

Yes that time is good for the area you want to fish no matter what the winter temps are. For lodging you have J&J camp-ground that rents RVs by the day, Salmon river corner cabins or styks lodging, bar and grill.

Its gonna be EARLY this year.  SOON as ice is out get out there.   Selkirk Shores DEC campground has cabins or Port Lodge right in Port Ontario, you will have your choice of 3 launch sites.  Depending on when DEC puts the docks in. 

FYI  For those that use the state park cabin system, starting last year they DO NOT open up for rentals until 5/19/23 this year. State wide economy move they claim cost factor for heating cabins early April thru May too great  They'r losing revenue but also delay bringing their staff back from winter layoff. Not happy cause always enjoyed larger cottages at Fair Haven. Same goes for Selkirk Shores state park, just checked for myself. Any reasonable lodging around Mexico -Fair Haven , even further west I'd be interested in any info. Have my own boat 

• Confused 1

Its gonna be EARLY this year.  SOON as ice is out get out there.   Selkirk Shores DEC campground has cabins or Port Lodge right in Port Ontario, you will have your choice of 3 launch sites.  Depending on when DEC puts the docks in. 

Thanks for that. Had no idea.  Was just trying to help someone out.  I live not toofar from Selkirk.  
   Port Lodge is right near Salmon River on Route 3, cheap and not too bad for the money.  $70 rooms.  A little drive to Oswego or Fair Haven however.  

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I'm new here and wanted to weigh in on the spring trip conversation. Last week of April/first week of May sounds like a great time to hit the lake for Browns in Pulaski - it should be a prime season for it! In terms of lodging, you don't need anything fancy, just something comfortable. With the rise of the sharing economy there are some great Airbnb's out there for reasonable prices. Breakfast spots near there? I'm guessing you don't need recs for the fishing pics ;) Btw, business class flights could greatly improve your fishing trip. I'd like to travel once the best fishing place in the world - Costa Rica. Anyway, hope you have a great one!

Edited by CassidyCummings

18 hours ago, CassidyCummings said:

Hey everyone, I'm new here and wanted to weigh in on the spring trip conversation. Last week of April/first week of May sounds like a great time to hit the lake for Browns in Pulaski - it should be a prime season for it! In terms of lodging, you don't need anything fancy, just something comfortable. With the rise of the sharing economy there are some great Airbnb's out there for reasonable prices. Breakfast spots near there?

Is this a question or a comment?  I don't see any places mentioned, breakfast spots near where?