Floracarbon line, its it needed? brown fishing...

I was fishing (trolling) with side planers, 2 lines out on each, way out nice, and using good stick bait, 3 different types and a spoon. 2 poles had 25# test big game, and the other 2 had 17#BG, 3 had snap clips right at the lure one 17# was tied directly to lure. We caught 1 brown :( . He was caught on the pole with 17# directly tied off to the line.

Others out fishing at the same time, in the same places caught 20 some caught 10, so I'm frustrated!

Here is what im guessing... Correct me if you think im wrong,

I need to use fluorocarbon leaders (maybe 12#) on all the poles and direct tie to the lures loosing the extra hardware on the lines, so they are clean..

What is the best knot to joing the two lines together, and what knot to tie floro off to lures? The same knots as mono?

Thanks for your help.

I troll for brown trout and I do use flourocarbon leaders. Tie them to my main line using a double uni-knot. I also use a small snap on the end of my leader to attach my lure.Is fourocarbon necessary? It cant hurt so why not use it. Im no expert but it works for me. Good fishing to you.

The bigger problem I think is the 17# or 25# you are using is diminishing the action on the spoons. Not so much the sticks, but them as well. I think you would do fine with 8# or 10# mono to your lure. Or the 17# you are using to a small bb barrel swivel then 8' of 8 or 10# floro ( I use seagar or trilene big game) then a small snap, not a snap swivel, just the snap, you will get better action on light spoons (suttons/stingers) :yes:

I run 10lb big game main line and 10lb floracarbon for leaders. I think this is the difference in catching 1 or 2 fish to catching 10+ fish. Also i had never had a fish break off in the spring. Just make sure your drags are good. and like on the lam said i sure that big line is hampering your lure action.

Pat

here is my theory to light line for browns ,as we know they are considered a "spooky" fish,more cautious of preditors is my guess so boat noise is important,no loud radio or clunking around in the boat. Also they are easuest caught in the warmer muddy or stained water where they can sneek up on prey,detect them with there latteral line and ambuse them when they approach the brown.I know for shure some of the nearshore water I fish the browns cant see the prey till it if inches From them,that tells me that the fish are more dependent on there latteral line to locate and get in front of there prey and wait, as the lure approaches they line up for a perfect head gulp,as they wait in the ambuse mode the 20 lb test hits them in the side and spooks them enuf to loose consentration and maby leave the bait (lure for good )thus no bite .The light line is more important I feel not for stealth(sight), or lure action (i use 20 lb on lures and stix at same speed for any other aplacation),but due to its softer feel it sorta brushes the brown not enuf to spook them as they are ready in total consentration with the viberation comming at them gets closer where the heavier stiffer line wacks them enuf to "spook um" thus no bite .Color is important as they use sight for the final strike and size is important due to there small moulth tho we all know tiny fish manage to get all 3 hooks in there lips at one time or another. But hey me justa plummer and the browns i chase are in a more confined space.(phew)

The lighter line makes your baits run deeper. There may be a 4-5' differential in depth from your 17# test with a stickbait and the boats around you running 10#lb test. That alone could make a huge difference esp. with the browns keying in on bottom orientating gobies. Sometimes the difference between catching and not catching is a small split shot.