Sonar placement

I have a 92 Baha 250 fisherman with an inboard. I bought a lowrance elite FS and a Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv to replace the 2 that came with the boat. Do the sonars need to go on the starboard side ? Is on better than the other with either mapping or 2d sonar ? Currently the only thing that is on the back of the boat is a set of trim tabs and a fishhawk on the port side. Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see any reason it needs to be on the right. I have always just mounted mine there as it just makes running the cables up to the finders on the dash. but there could be more prop wash on the left side causing interference with your finders. but again I have seen them mounted on the left side but don't have any idea if they had problems. if it was me I would just mount them where it was the best for me. then if I had problems I could always move them.

A couple things come to mind. a) you want to be away from direct sources of turbulence and this depends somewhat on your hull design and the chines and strakes on the hull. The location should be towards the outside of the transom in a "clear"  "flat"spot. Can be on either side of the transom and you didn't mention if you intend to have a kicker mounted. If so it should be opposite side of that. b) Depending on the frequency of the fishfinder, it may or may not be a problem locating it near that transducer. The frequency of the Fishhawk is around 70 khz so if your depthfinder is operating near that range (e.g.50khz) it may be advantageous to locate on opposite side. If the depth finder is operating in a range higher than 100 khz you usually shouldn't have a problem with interference.

Thanks for the input. I don't think I have an issues with turbulence other than the trim tabs. I was thinking about putting them on a piece of starboard on the starboard side of the boat. With it being my first inboard I was sure if the prop work the same as an outboard as far as the prop wash goes. A kicker motor isn't in the cards this year. A Raymarine AP is this years upgrade 

they make boards just for mounting your transducers so you only drill holes to mount the board then after that all future transducer holes are drilled in the board. this would be ideal for anyone who might upgrade or change brands of electronics in the future. what to do with old holes is to fill them with 4200 marine sealant before mounting your board. if you have holes that won't be covered by the board use the 4200 to fill the holes then put SS screws in the hole. they should never leak. use the 4200 to fill the holes for mounting your board.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:24 PM, prayingmantis said:

I have a 92 Baha 250 fisherman with an inboard. I bought a lowrance elite FS and a Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv to replace the 2 that came with the boat. Do the sonars need to go on the starboard side ? Is on better than the other with either mapping or 2d sonar ? Currently the only thing that is on the back of the boat is a set of trim tabs and a fishhawk on the port side. Thanks 

If you have an inboard then a thru-hull is recommended. That Garmin can run an Airmar B60. You'll be much more happy with your sonar's performance going with the B60. I know it sounds over-whelming, and if it is get it professionally installed, but it's just a hole saw in the bottom of the boat. We do it weekly here at Krenzer Marine. Call me at the marina and we can chat if you have any questions. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 5:24 PM, prayingmantis said:

I was in the same situation you are, with a high end transom mount 'ducer.  Switched to what Rick suggested above and couldn't be happier.  Switched to the B60, which was a 'weaker' transducer, but was MUCH clearer, MUCH better picture when cruising and a lot less noise when trolling.

• Like 1