Ice Out Pickerel

I know that this is a long shot, but I am currently working on an undergrad research project analyzing the shape of pickerel otoliths for use in differentiating populations. Otoliths are a calcified structure within the ear of fish used to sense vibrations for hearing. Otoliths can be ages like tree rings and absorb environmental elements allowing researchers to determine migration patterns. I am looking to use a shape analysis software to compare the shapes of otoliths found in pickerel and pike from different bodies of water. 

Given our recent spell of good weather I have been trying, unsuccessfully to find some open water with some hungry pickerel around. I have been focusing around the Oneida River since I live in Syracuse. I would like to stay within 45 minutes as I only really have time after class to go out and catch some samples. If anyone knows any good ice out pickerel locations with open water at the moment I would really appreciate the help. 

Yes, the collection of otoliths is lethal, but don't worry I am eating the fish and only keeping my legal limit of 5. So far I have two samples of pickerel and one of pike, but I will be working on pike later as I am traveling to Sweden over the summer for a research position.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I really need to get at least one more sample in before the season closes March 15th

On 2/15/2023 at 8:48 PM, CG_Fishes said:

I know that this is a long shot, but I am currently working on an undergrad research project analyzing the shape of pickerel otoliths for use in differentiating populations. Otoliths are a calcified structure within the ear of fish used to sense vibrations for hearing. Otoliths can be ages like tree rings and absorb environmental elements allowing researchers to determine migration patterns. I am looking to use a shape analysis software to compare the shapes of otoliths found in pickerel and pike from different bodies of water. 

Given our recent spell of good weather I have been trying, unsuccessfully to find some open water with some hungry pickerel around. I have been focusing around the Oneida River since I live in Syracuse. I would like to stay within 45 minutes as I only really have time after class to go out and catch some samples. If anyone knows any good ice out pickerel locations with open water at the moment I would really appreciate the help. 

Yes, the collection of otoliths is lethal, but don't worry I am eating the fish and only keeping my legal limit of 5. So far I have two samples of pickerel and one of pike, but I will be working on pike later as I am traveling to Sweden over the summer for a research position.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I really need to get at least one more sample in before the season closes March 15th

There are a very good population of Pickerel in Lamoka Lake, with a nice kayak launch in between Waneta & Lamoka Lakes.  Try the weedy area on the right by the island as you paddle out to the lake.  Best of luck,  use a small leader.